Coroner identifies man killed in Westmoreland County car fire

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

The Westmoreland County Coroner’s Office has identified the man found dead in a burning car Tuesday in Ligonier Township.

Jay Francis Larva, 77, of Greensburg died of carbon monoxide poisoning, smoke inhalation and extensive burns, according to Sean Hribal, the deputy coroner who investigated the death.

Mr. Larva was found in his burning 2005 Hyundai Tucson after firefighters were called to the parking lot of the Washington Furnace Inn shortly before noon.

Mr. Larva’s manner of death is officially undetermined, though investigators have ruled out homicide, Mr. Hribal said.

“We do not believe this is suspicious at this point in time,” he said. He added that investigators found a plastic gas can in the SUV that is believed to have caused the fire.


Robert Zullo: rzullo@post-gazette.com, 412-263-3909 or on Twitter @rczullo.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here