The public is welcome to celebrate the centennial of the Ingram School and the 20th birthday of the Ingram Historical Society at 6:30 p.m. in the school’s Ingram Community Resource Center, 40 Vancouver Ave.
There will be cake and ice cream, crafts, children’s goodie bags and photos of the school’s early classes. Attendees are encouraged to bring their school photos to share. The event is sponsored by the nonprofit historical society, which was founded in 1994 to preserve the history of the Chartiers Valley and Ingram, a 0.4-square-mile borough founded in 1902.
Ingram School, built in 1914, was designated in 1988 as a historic landmark by the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
The Montour School District, which had used the building as an elementary school since 1961, closed it in 2012 and repurposed the library as a resource center for evening activities, tutoring and computer access.
The historical society works to sponsor programs and collect, organize and archive historical documents and objects. Membership is $10 a year, including a newsletter and access to digitized photos and archives on the group’s website, www.ingramhistoricalsociety.org.
When it opened 100 years ago, the Ingram school replaced the Scully Public School on Prospect Avenue, which had replaced log-cabin schools, according to the society’s website.
Students attended Ingram School through 10th grade and then moved on to either Crafton or Langley high schools until graduation. Later, Montour used the school for kindergarten through fourth grade, with students eventually graduating from Montour High School in Robinson.
“For those who have attended Ingram Schools, a little piece of them will always be in Ingram,” the society's website says.
Today, the school’s former library serves as a resource center for children, adults and community groups in Ingram, Robinson, Kennedy, Thornburg and Pennsbury Village. The center is open year-round from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Andrea Iglar, freelance writer: email@example.com.