Curt Vasas, a chemistry teacher in the South Butler County School District since 1997, has been hired as high school assistant principal at a salary of $71,644.
He replaces Mark Abbondanza, who was named middle school principal in August after Greg Taranto was appointed assistant to the superintendent.
• The school board has elected Jay Romano as president and Kathleen Smith as vice president.
• The board appointed school director Robert Arista to the Greater Canonsburg Public Library board through December 2009 and extended the terms of Barbara Sandy and Robert Pintar, representatives to the library board, through December 2011.
• Football coach and Athletic Director Guy Montecalvo was honored this month by The Washington Initiatives Inc. as the first "Giving Back to the Community" winner.
The high school dance team was named grand champion of the dance division at the Pennsylvania Elite State Championships. The team also won best choreography. The junior varsity team finished second in the varsity division.
• U.S. News and World Report has listed Peters Township High School among the best high schools in the nation.
The school was among 20 in the Commonwealth to earn a silver rating from the magazine.
These Mon Valley Career and Technology Center students have been named to the director's list for the first quarter:
Auto body: 11th grade -- Jason Merashoff, Charleroi; Brandon Pape, Beth Center; 10th grade -- Cody Gadd and Kenneth Shultz, Bentworth.
Auto mechanics: 11th grade -- Michael Pro, Ringgold; 10th grade -- Chris Kraeer, Bentworth; Sarah Lupori, Charleroi.
Carpentry: 11th grade -- Shawn Koschalk, Monessen; Brett Lepresti, Monessen; Cody Spadaro, Bentworth; 10th grade -- Robert Kendall and Michael Wozniak, Charleroi.
Computer maintenance: Michael Antonucci, California; Shawn Becquet, Ringgold; Nathan Bryan, Beth Center; Anthony Ginger, Shawn Klimkos and Vance Kearns, Charleroi.
Computer programming: 12th grade -- James McKenna, Charleroi; 10th grade -- Kelton Essig, Beth Center; Brandon Lauderbach, Charleroi.
Culinary arts: 12th grade -- Christa Crea, Charleroi; 11th grade; Devin Davis, Monessen; 10th grade -- Kaitlyn Cain and Amber Mayes, Charleroi; Steven Turner, Bentworth.
Electrical occupation: 12th grade -- Jonathan McLaughlin, Monessen; 11th grade -- Bradley Tonini, California; 10th grade --James Cochran, Dennis Keller and Cody Muntan, Ringgold; Joshua Jenkins and Joseph Woolf, California.
Health occupation: 12th grade -- Katie Taylor, Charleroi; 10th grade -- Tasha Ferguson, Beth Center; Brooke Green and Crystal Wigfield, Ringgold.
Masonry: 11th grade -- Brandon Sollosi, Ringgold; 10th grade -- Jacob Hall, Ringgold; Adam Mikolay, Beth Center; Dakota Santo, California.
Multimedia design: 12th grade -- Kristyn Bowen, Ringgold; Shambria Pritchett, Monessen; Zach Wright, California; 11th grade -- Michael McVicker, Beth Center; Ben Pasqualle, Ashlie Petrick, Amy Stuart and Kelsey Summerfield, Ringgold; Justin Ross, Beth Center; 10th grade -- Chelsie Hall, Ringgold; Walter Hazuga and Amanda Ross, Bentworth.
Machine shop: 12th grade -- Derek Anderson, Bentworth; 11th grade -- Keith Martin, California; 10th grade -- Alex Roach, California.
Protective services: 11th grade -- Thomas Ashcraft, Ringgold; Alina George, Bentworth.
Co-op: 12th grade -- Donald Chettle, Ringgold.
• Peters Township High School sophomores H. B. Hull (alto saxophone) and Josh Orr (trumpet) been selected for the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association Honors Jazz Band West Jan. 9-10 at Upper St. Clair High School.
• Canon-McMillan fifth grader Carly Shanahan of North Strabane Intermediate School was the school's winner of the Canonsburg Hospital's Giving Thanks essay contest.
• Cecil Elementary School sixth graders Josie Thal, Kristen Ellis, Alexxa Safko and Nadia Few collected teddy bears and other stuffed animals for patients at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
The girls originated the idea, announced their project on the school's televised morning news, collected and packaged the items and delivered them to Children's Hospital.
Their next project will be collecting soft drink pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House Charities.
• These Peters Township High School musicians have been selected for the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association District I Band Festival: Joey Grippi (clarinet), Jamie Ignatius (French horn), Eric Spangenberg (bass clarinet), and Marli Thilges.