Authorities say a fire that claimed the life of a western Pennsylvania man over the weekend was accidental.
Fire crews in Fayette County were called at 4:30 p.m. Friday to the Uniontown residence, where firefighter Todd Fullem said they found the upper part of the wood-frame home “well-involved.”
Authorities said an elderly woman downstairs was unaware of the fire, and neighbors helped her to safety. But 58-year-old Robert Riggen collapsed after reaching the top of the stairs.
He was rushed to UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh, where the Allegheny County medical examiner’s office said he died at just after 12:30 a.m. Saturday.
Fire investigators said the blaze was started by an electrical malfunction.United States - North America - Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh - Uniontown