Bridgeville insurance salesman who drew FBI attention died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

A Bridgeville insurance salesman whose elaborate suicide drew the response of a bomb squad Tuesday died of acute carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Allegheny County medical examiner's office.

Charles Krohn, 61, was found dead inside a shower next to a charcoal grill at his home on New York Street about 11 a.m.

Mr. Krohn's wife called 911 at 8:30 a.m. at the urging of a note she found pinned to a bathroom door. Responding officers found more notes, including one that "warned of possible explosion if the lights were turned on in the bathroom," Bridgeville police Chief Chad King said.

That prompted them to summon a bomb squad and evacuate neighboring houses. The FBI also went to the house.

It wasn't the first time Mr. Krohn attempted suicide. On Sept. 12, Bridgeville police helped federal agents execute a search warrant and found Mr. Krohn had "preparations made in the garage to harm himself," the chief said.

Mr. Krohn was taken to St. Clair Hospital for a mental health commitment and was released Sept. 17.

Chief King would not elaborate on why FBI agents had searched the home, and an FBI spokeswoman wouldn't say. She said only that agents had been in the area recently but she declined to say why.

Allegheny County police are investigating the death.

breaking - neigh_west - neigh_south

Moriah Balingit: mbalingit@post-gazette.com, 412-263-2533 and on Twitter @MoriahBee.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here