Selection to begin April 15 for grand jury investigating Steubenville rape case cover-up

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Jury selection will begin April 15 to seat a grand jury that will continue Ohio's investigations into the Steubenville rape case, according to Attorney General Mike DeWine's office.

The Ohio attorney general said last month the grand jury would convene in mid-April so the community would know "no stone has been left unturned" in the case of a 16-year-old West Virginia girl who was raped at an alcohol-fueled party last August.

In an announcement following the March 17 verdict, in which Ma'lik Richmond and Trent Mays were adjudicated delinquent of rape, Mr. Wine said 16 people refused to be interviewed during the state's initial investigation.

He stressed that a grand jury does not necessarily mean additional charges will be filed.

During the closed-door grand jury proceedings, attorneys from Mr. DeWine's office will call witnesses before a jury of nine members. The jury pool includes all eligible voters in Jefferson County.

A vote of at least seven would be needed to indict.

Mr. DeWine has said he hopes to begin the proceedings on or around April 15.


Correction/Clarification: (Published April 8, 2013) An earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the date jury selection was expected to begin. mobilehome - breaking - region

Molly Born: mborn@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1944 and on Twitter: @borntolede.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here