A section of Pittsburgh International Airport shut down because of smoke and a suspicious satchel reopened at 11 a.m.
An airport spokeswoman, JoAnn Jenny, said the Airport Authority received an emergency call about smoke around gate D80 about 7:30 a.m.
About an hour later, airport firefighters and operations personnel found a satchel in a plumbing access panel in the wall of a men's bathroom. The panel was charred.
The D Concourse was shut down as a precaution and flights -- including Delta, American and United Airlines flights -- were redirected to the A Concourse.
Authorities believe the smoke may have come from a lit cigarette was tossed into the wall space, lighting other debris that had been tossed back there, Ms. Jenny said. They still did not know why the satchel -- which was examined with X-rays and found to contain only a sleeping mat -- was stuffed into the wall.mobilehome - breaking - region - Transportation - businessnews - neigh_west
Moriah Balingit: firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-263-2533 and on Twitter: @MoriahBee.