Community College of Allegheny County will close at 4 p.m. today, the school announced. The decision affects all evening classes and off-site activities on its campuses and centers, CCAC spokesman David Hoovler said. A decision about whether to cancel classes Tuesday has not yet been made, he said.
Penn State University has canceled all classes and activities scheduled after 1:10 p.m. at its main campus in University Park.
PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike has expanded the number of highways under a 45 mph emergency speed limit.
PennDOT is urging motorists to avoid unnecessary travel but those who must will see speeds reduced on the following highways: Interstate 81 from New York to Maryland state border; Interstates 78, 83, 84, 380, 176 and 76; Interstate 283 and Route 283; Interstate 80 east of Interstate 81; Pennsylvania Turnpike from New Jersey to Carlisle and the Northeast Extension; Route 581; and U.S. Routes 15, 30, 22/322 and 33.
Motorcycles, empty trucks, recreational vehicles, trailers pulled by passenger vehicles and several other types of high-profile vehicles are banned on those highways. The restrictions took effect at 12:30 p.m. and are in addition to those announced for the Philadelphia area earlier.
The Public Parking Authority of Pittsburgh has announced the Mon Wharf parking lot will be closed tomorrow.
The state has postponed today's hearing on the possibility of removing the city of Pittsburgh from Act 47 financial oversight.
The hearing, which was to begin at 4 p.m., has not yet been rescheduled.
The postponement was announced by Steven Kratz, spokesman for the state Department of Community and Economic Development.
• The WPIAL has announced that it has postponed all soccer and field hockey playoff games scheduled for tomorrow to Wednesday.
• LaRoche College has canceled its Evening with Nicholas Kristof event. Visit laroche.edu for more information.
• Penn State has announced on Facebook the closing of some if its campuses today and Tuesday. Among them are Penn State Altoona (from noon today through 10:30 p.m. Tuesday), Worthington near Scranton and the Law School near Carlisle.
• Flights have been canceled from Pittsburgh International Airport to Boston, Washington, New York, Newark, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Flights scheduled to arrive in Pittsburgh from Chicago, Houston, Cincinnati, Phonenix and other locations tonight have been canceled. A more detailed list can be found here.
• Megabus has announced Pittsburgh trips to New York, Philadelphia, State College have been canceled on Monday.
• All PNC Bank branches are closed today in New Jersey, New York, Eastern Pennsylvania, Central Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, D.C. and its Virginia suburbs. PNC processing has shifted from impacted areas to alternate locations. Non-branch employees in affected areas are working from home when possible.
The Donavon Frankenreiter show at Mr. Smalls tonight is canceled
First Published October 29, 2012 1:45 PM