Items that are difficult to discard such as paint, electronics and building materials will be accepted during a recycling day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Avalon public works garage, Frederick Street and New Brighton Road.
The event is being sponsored by the Quaker Valley Council of Governments and is open only to its member residents -- Aleppo, Avalon, Bell Acres, Bellevue, Ben Avon, Edgeworth, Glen Osborne, Glenfield, Haysville, Kilbuck, Leet, Leetsdale, and Sewickley.
Participants will be required to show identification -- a driver's license or voter's registration.
The event is for residential waste only.
Individuals will be able to recycle these items free:
Electronic and computer equipment such as desktops, laptops, server towers and racks, networking switches, monitors, printers, scanners, keyboards, mice, fax machines, analog telephone systems and their components, stereos, large speakers, DVD players, VCRs, cable boxes, cellular telephones, gaming systems and personal digital assistants.
Also, oil (in containers), lead or acid batteries (from cars, boats, and motorcycles), and small appliances such as can openers and toasters.
Building materials such as windows in frames (no broken glass or aluminum storm windows), cabinets from plumbing fixtures, doors (no broken glass or rotted/split wood), tiles (new and in sealed boxes), hardware, hardware flooring, counter tops, insulation, shingles/siding, light fixtures, un-upholstered furniture, lumber longer than 4 feet with no nails, not rotted or stained with oil, grease or dirt.
Other items may be recycled for a fee:
• $10 for hard drive data destruction (which will be secured and destroyed at a later date).
• $5 shredding fee per 18-by-10-by11-inch (or smaller) box of documents.
• $15 for freon appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, wine refrigerators, water coolers and dehumidifiers.
• $1 per 1-gallon can (or smaller), $3.50 per 5-gallon bucket of latex and oil-based paint for $1 per gallon or smaller can or $3.50 per 5-gallon bucket.
Aerosol cans also will be accepted.
• $2 for passenger and light truck tires not in excess of 18 inches.
Rims, off-road and other large truck tires will not be accepted.
Among the items that won't be accepted are non-freon large appliances, older/out-of-code electrical products, asbestos siding or tiles, items with exposed lead paint, and building materials missing large parts (such as cabinets with no doors).
Shellie Petri Budzeak, freelance writer: firstname.lastname@example.org.