McKeesport man to face trial in 2013 Downtown shooting incident

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Jason Webb, 19, was held for court today on a count of attempted homicide, robbery, aggravated assault and a gun violation in connection with a January 2013 shooting Downtown. A count each of aggravated assault and robbery were withdrawn at a preliminary hearing today.

Pittsburgh police said Mr. Webb shot a man and woman Jan. 29, 2013. Police have said they received a call from one of the victims in that incident, who told them he recognized Mr. Webb as the shooter after seeing news footage of him in connection with a McKeesport killing.

The victims -- then a 47-year-old man from York, Pa., and a 32-year-old woman from East Liberty -- were smoking marijuana immediately before they were robbed at gunpoint and shot near Seventh Street and Fort Duquesne Boulevard.

Mr. Webb's attorney, Lee Rothman, said the woman did not appear at the hearing, causing the two charges to be dropped. He called the man's testimony inconsistent with his previous statements to police.

"I feel confident in being able to defend my client," Mr. Rothman said.

Mr. Webb is already jailed in a separate case, in which he's accused of killing Tezjuan Taylor, 20, on May 17 in McKeesport. The slaying appeared to be in retaliation for a friend's 2012 shooting death there, according to court testimony from a witness last month.


First Published June 25, 2014 12:00 AM


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here