Small fire at Carlton Restaurant quickly extinguished

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

A quickly extinguished grease fire at The Carlton Restaurant on Grant Street caused the BNY Mellon Center to become smoky, though the Downtown skyscraper has been deemed safe, authorities said.

Initial reports of a possible fire in the BNY Mellon Center or the nearby subway station were called in around 7:04 p.m., so the city responded with a three-alarm "high-rise plan," city deputy fire Chief Michael Mullen said. No fires were found in either location, he said.

A grease fire in the hood at the restaurant had been extinguished by employees, but not before the smoke moved into the Mellon building, Chief Mullen said. Kevin Joyce, the Carlton's owner, said the hood runs up through the building and out at the 17th floor.

The restaurant, located in the upper lobby of BNY Mellon Center, was evacuated because of the smoke, but it will be "back to business tomorrow," Mr. Joyce said.

No injuries were reported.


Lexi Belculfine: lbelculfine@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1878. Twitter: @LexiBelc.

Join the conversation:

Commenting policy | How to report abuse
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to socialmedia@post-gazette.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.
Commenting policy | How to report abuse

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here