One man was taken to the hospital after a fire Monday night that destroyed a house on Evergreen Road in Summer Hill, firefighters said.
Pittsburgh Battalion Chief Michael Marks said firefighters were called to the house at 4167 Evergreen Road about 8:10 p.m. and found the two-story house "completely engulfed."
A man in the front yard who was covered in soot told firefighters a fire in the fireplace got out of control, Chief Marks said.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control, a task complicated by downed power lines that were sparking when they arrived.
The Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire this morning estimated the damage at $100,000.
The man, whose name was not immediately available, was living at the home but is not the owner, Chief Marks said. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, first responders at the scene said.
Chief Marks said two dogs may have died in the fire, but firefighters have yet to find them amid the caved-in ceilings and other rubble inside the home.
"It'll be a while before we dig through it," he said.
The fire is under investigation.