2 burned in South Side Slopes hash-brown fire

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Two people were burned this morning as a family tried to put out a grease fire at a South Side Slopes home.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 1400 block of Eleanor Street about 10:20 a.m. after grease caught fire while a woman was trying to cook hash browns, Pittsburgh arson detective Michael Burns said.

The woman tried to put out the fire by dumping flour on it but that made the flames grow, he said.

She called for help and a man inside the home took the pot outside while the first woman's daughter held the door. When the oxygen hit the flames, they grew and the man and the woman holding the door were injured.

The man had second-degree burns on his face and arms and declined to be taken to the hospital.

The woman had first degree burns on her face and neck and second-degree burns on her arms and legs. She was taken to a hospital.

mobilehome - neigh_city - breaking

Liz Navratil: lnavratil@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1438 and on Twitter: @LizNavratil.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here