A 21-month-old boy found dead in an East Hills apartment over the weekend and his twin brother suffered chemical burns believed to be from Clorox bleach, Pittsburgh police said today.
Acting major crimes unit Cmdr. Kevin Kraus said Xavier Washington was burned on his torso, arms, legs, groin and back and was pronounced dead Saturday in the living room of the apartment.
His twin brother, who is in serious but stable condition, is being treated at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC with burns to his stomach, groin and legs.
"We haven't been able to determine exactly how the bleach came in contact with both victims," Cmdr. Kraus said.
Police have made no arrests.
The Allegheny County medical examiner's office said an autopsy was conducted Saturday afternoon but that results won't be finalized until additional testing and laboratory work is completed, which could take several weeks.
Five other children, ranging from 4 months to 8 years old, were living in the apartment, Cmdr. Kraus said. Investigators have interviewed some of them.
"It's an unusual case," Cmdr. Kraus said, "and we're just trying to put it all together to see if we can find out exactly what occurred."mobilehome - neigh_city - breaking
Molly Born: firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-263-1944 and on Twitter: @borntolede.