Occupy Pittsburgh site nearly deserted

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

About 15 tents and at least one Occupy Pittsburgh protester remained in Mellon Green this morning despite a court order that authorized the county sheriff to remove campers and protesters to enforce a judge's ruling.

Sheriff William Mullen declined to comment this morning, but he said Monday that his deputies would act at a time that worked best for authorities.

It was unclear whether anyone spent the night in the tents, but there were small signs of life at the camp: a guitar and drum remained, along with a bicycle and several tables. Fresh signs, outlining the group's philosophy of non-violence, also had been posted.

At a press conference Monday, some campers indicated they would leave and continue the movement in other ways.

John Paylor, who moved out of the camp Monday after sleeping there since October, returned this morning but said he would not stay and risk arrest if sheriff's deputies came to clear the park.


Moriah Balingit: mbalingit@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2533.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here