Paul McCartney sells out two shows at Consol


Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Tickets for the Grand Opening concert by Paul McCartney at the Consol Energy Center sold out today in three minutes, prompting the announcement of a second show the following night, which sold out as well.

The ex-Beatle, still a vital performer at 67, will open the new arena in Uptown on Aug. 18 and 19.

"We had an inkling last week when we saw the fervor and the demand and we started working to secure the [second] date," says Rob Goodman, of arena management company SMG.

It was decided yesterday morning shortly before the on-sale time of 10 a.m. that the second show would go on sale immediately.

"We're ecstatic, the Pens are ecstatic, the promoter AEG is ecstatic -- the feedback we received is overwhelming," Mr. Goodman says. "What a tremendous way to christen the new building."

A portion of the tickets for the opening McCartney date were sold over the past week exclusively to American Express cardholders. Between the phone, Internet and ticket outlets, Ticketmaster was able to sell out the remainder in just a few minutes. The ticket limit was four for VIP and presales and six for all others. By noon, the second show had sold out as well.

Hundreds of tickets already have turned up on secondary sites such as Connecticut-based TicketsInventory.com, ranging from $135 to $4,312 for a pair in the front row.


Scott Mervis: smervis@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2576.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here