A gas leak forced the evacuation of a Downtown Pittsburgh restaurant this morning.
The building housing Papa J’s Centro in the 200 block of the Boulevard of the Allies was cleared shortly after 11 a.m. when occupants smelled gas. Emergency responders had to be led through the Veterans Day parade, which was taking place two blocks away.
A portion of the Boulevard of the Allies near the restaurant remained closed this afternoon as crews worked on the problem.
No injuries were reported. The restaurant's owner, Michael Troiani, said crews were working on the problem and that he didn't expect the restaurant to reopen today. He said he hoped to reopen by this weekend at the latest.
Aside from brief interruptions for passage of emergency vehicles, the parade was unaffected.
Jon Schmitz: email@example.com or 412-263-1868. Visit the PG's transportation blog, The Roundabout, at www.post-gazette.com/Roundabout. Twitter: @pgtraffic. Molly Born: firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-263-1944 or on Twitter @borntolede. First Published November 11, 2013 12:36 PM