Bet you'll be firing up the grill this Memorial Day weekend, and what's easier than a really great hot dog?
Barbecue Bean Chili Dogs
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- 8 all-beef hot dogs (I prefer Nathan's Skinless Beef Franks)
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- Pickled cherry or other peppers, for garnish
Make chili by stirring together barbecue sauce, beans, chili powder, brown sugar and mustard in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, make hot dogs: Set up grill or preheat a grill pan over medium heat. When ready to start cooking, brush grates with vegetable oil. Place hot dogs on hot oiled grill and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Toast buns on grill, if desired. Put hot dogs in the buns and top with chili. Serve hot topped with chopped onion and pickled peppers.
-- Adapted from Sandra Lee in Food Network magazinerecipes - whatsfordinner