Carnegie Science Center can be rented for wedding receptions.
By Lorri Drumm
Couples looking for unusual venues for their wedding receptions have many choices in the Pittsburgh area. Here are a few:
• The Carnegie Science Center on the North Side lets brides bounce on a trampoline and guests gaze at a star show in the Buhl Planetarium. Servers in red lab coats will whip up liquid nitrogen smoothies, and the big screens in the Works Theater can be used for slide shows complete with fog and other special effects. The other three Carnegie museums — art and natural history in Oakland and The Andy Warhol Museum on the North Side — are also available for rental.
• Engine House 25, a restored 1896 firehouse in Lawrenceville, includes a winery and the Roberto Clemente Museum. It has three floors with room for events large and small, an original fire pole and lots of memorabilia connected with the Pirates famous right-fielder.
• The Prop Shop in East Liberty, which rents wedding decor and thematic party props, decorations and furniture, opens its funhouse doors for weddings and other events. It can seat up to 80 guests or 175 cocktail-style.
• PNC Park and Heinz Field, both on the North Side, are popular locations for weddings and receptions. Consol Energy Center does not host private events.
• The Three Rivers Rowing Association boathouse in Millvale is a “green“ building with a great view of the Allegheny River from its glassed-in upper lounge and deck.
• The Rostraver Ice Garden in Belle Vernon can handle up to 700 guests — including non-skaters.
• Bell’s Banquets in Mount Pleasant accommodates up to 200 guests amid 200-year-old barn beams and crystal chandeliers.
• Greendance —The Winery at Sand Hill Farms and Christian W. Klay Winery, both in the Laurel Highlands, offer packages for any size wedding.
• Ohiopyle Vacation Rentals and the Historic Stone House Restaurant & Inn offer outdoor events amid the wild beauty of the Laurel Ridge and Ohiopyle State Park.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.