The Pennsylvania Resources Council will hold the first of four collections of hard-to-recycle items from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. today at the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills in Frazer, in the parking lot near Dingbats.
Individuals can drop off e-waste such as computers and televisions, cell phones, printer/toner cartridges, CFLs, microwave ovens, used vegetable/cooking oil, and polystyrene packaging material at no cost. Small fees will be charged to drop off alkaline batteries, tires, small appliances containing Freon, fluorescent tubes, vacuum cleaners and small kitchen appliances.
The three other collections will be held:
* May 10 at Consol Energy Park, 1 Washington Federal Way, North Franklin, Washington County (15301).
* Aug. 16 in West Mifflin (location to be announced).
* Oct. 4 at The Mall at Robinson, 100 Robinson Centre Drive, Robinson (15205)
For a detailed list of items accepted and prices, visit www.prc.org or call PRC at 412-488-7490, ext. 236.
The Greater Pittsburgh Dahlia Society will host a mini-auction and root sale next Saturday at Hebron United Presbyterian Church, 10460 Frankstown Road, Penn Hills. The auction will begin at 2 p.m. and the root sale at 3:30 p.m. Bring a container or box to carry home your tubers. Cash or checks accepted.
Rain barrels, composting
The Pennsylvania Resources Council will host composting and rain barrel workshops in April and May.
An 80-gallon composting bin is included in the class, which will teach how to compost kitchen, garden and yard debris. Cost is $50 per person/$55 per couple and includes one bin. The schedule:
* 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mt. Lebanon Library
* 6:30 p.m. April 16, Blueberry Hill Park, Franklin Park
* 6:30 p.m. April 28, Baldwin Borough Library
* 6:30 p.m. May 15, Churchill Municipal Building
The rain barrel workshops will address rain water harvesting and water pollution. Cost is $50 single/$55 per couple and includes necessary hardware and a $10 coupon toward a food-grade, 55-gallon drum. The schedule:
* 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Churchill Borough Building
* 7 p.m. April 21, Upper St. Clair Library
* 7 p.m. April 24, Phipps Garden Center, Shadyside
* 7 p.m. April 29, Whitehall Public Library
* 6:30 p.m. May 1, CCI Center, South Side
* 6:30 p.m. May 6, Blueberry Hill Park Activity Center, Franklin Park
* 7 p.m. May 13, Mt. Lebanon Library
* 6:30 p.m. May 21, East End Food Co-op, Point Breeze
To register for either workshop, go to www.zerowastepgh.org or call 412-488-7490 ext. 247.