• The hottest color in the fashion world is … camouflage? The 85 percent tungsten carbide rings by Triton match the lifestyle of your favorite outdoorsman. They’re hypo-allergenic, tarnish-resistant, permanently polished and rugged enough for manly wear. $249-$349 at all King’s Jewelry locations.
• Nature provides the best way to keep unwanted birds and their droppings away from gardens, boats, pools, etc. Nothing beats predator power. Just the sight of the 3-dimensional Flam-Horned Owl will scare off animals you’d rather see at a distance. $14.99, Dick’s Sporting Goods.
• If the well-outfitted camper on your gift list already has everything but the kitchen sink, give him the kitchen sink. Sea to Summit’s collapsible fabric wash basin is watertight, stands firm with a stainless-steel rim and is equipped with reinforced handles. Available in 10-liter ($24.99) and 20-liter ($32.99) at Gander Mountain.
(Click image for larger version)
• For as long as humans have made fire, we’ve fanned the flames by blowing on hot coals. FiAir revolutionizes the concept. Compact and portable, the hand-held, battery-powered blower directs steady air at coals on fires indoors and out, hastening the process with no smoke in the eyes. $29.99 at www.fiair.net.
• As inexpensive stocking stuffers go, this one will be appreciated by anyone who ventures outdoors in the cold. Remington’s Blaze Headband keeps the ears cozy and the head highly visible. $4.97, Walmart.
• Reinforce the outdoors nature of your presents by presenting them in camouflage gift wrapping. Mossy Oak, the maker of photo-quality camo patterns, offers three rolls of paper, 20 feet of raffia ribbon, six bows and eight gift tags. Available in camouflage and blaze camo. $9.97, Walmart.
• If you enjoyed keeping track of Pittsburgh’s resident family of bald eagles, thank the Pennsylvania Game Commission, which brought eagles back to the state through a 1983 reintroduction program financed with no state tax money. This 13-by-101⁄2-inch calendar features wildlife photographs by naturalist Scott Weidensaul and supports the agency’s conservation of game and non-game species. $8.95 at www.theoutdoorshop.state.pa.us.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.