Shopping for gadget lovers is easy, but we've narrowed the list a bit.
• Pebble Smartwatch: Beating Apple to the punch, Pebble came out with the most exciting Smartwatch since Dick Tracy. Available in a variety of colors through www.getpebble.com, it features an e-paper face that can be customized through downloads. It's also waterproof, backlit and works with iOS and Android via Bluetooth. Pebble welcomes developers to create their own apps. It ships free.
There's no shortage of gadgets in this modern world, so any day could be Christmas for your gadget geek. But go ahead and spoil them with one of these cool new toys.
• Nexus 5 smartphone: Google's recently released Nexus 5 arrives at an attractive price point -- starting at $349, unlocked -- and features the zippy Android 4.4 KitKat operating system. It's not for those with tiny hands, with its 5-inch screen, but the use of plastic on its 1080p front and back cover make it surprisingly light. Built by LG, the Nexus 5 has an 8 megapixel camera and comes in black or white. Available at stores such as Best Buy and Radio Shack, also through T-Mobile and Sprint.
(Click image for larger version)
• Lytro camera: This little wonder captures the entire light field. Zip in or out with the 8x optical zoom, snap a picture and don't worry about focusing on what's in the foreground or background (you can do that later, with the camera itself or using the accompanying software for your computer).
Its aluminum body comes in seven colors, and regular prices start at $399. Buy online and at big-box stores such as Best Buy and Target, also at www.lytro.com.
• Bose QuietComfort 20i in-ear headphones: Activating a feature called "Aware Mode" means you don't have to yank the ear buds out to hear the world around you. But fear not. These are also excellent when it comes to noise-cancellation. Two tiny microphones in each bud of the "StayHear" + ear tips system make these the Bentleys of the in-ear 'phone universe.
Available for $299.99 at Bose stores, online at www.bose.com and authorized electronics dealers.
• Mophie Juice Pack Helium case: Like carrying a spare tank of gas in the car, this smartphone case brings peace of mind to anyone afraid of running low. Charge the $79.95 Juice Pack, slip in the cell phone and voila: the lithium polymer battery provides an extra 80 percent reserve of power. Available online and in stores where electronics are sold.
• Chromecast: How can such a small device deliver such big entertainment? Google's Chromecast ($35) plugs into your television set to allow digital content streaming such as movies and television shows.
Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus and Google Play are among the many apps available via your home Wi-Fi. Using a Chrome browser, you can "cast" content onto the television screen, including music. Available at big-box electronics stores and www.google.com/chromecast.
• Jawbone's Jambox Mini: Adorkably cool, these portable Bluetooth speakers have slimmed down from previous models and added functions such as music service aggregation. The mini also operates as a speakerphone, and its sleek, aluminum body design in a variety of bright colors adds form to function. Available at electronics retail stores and online for $180.
• Hammerhead bike navigation system: From off-road biking to testing the city streets with bike-share programs, Dragon Innovations' nifty little Hammerhead ($85) uses the GPS in your smart phone to provide clear, easy-to-see handlebar guidance.
Cues and signals are provided in colorful LED patterns that can be programmed to riders' preferences. Distances to turn, distance to top of climbs and segment speed are only part of this device's font of information. Crowdsourcing raised nearly $200,000 to develop the Hammerhead, which can be pre-ordered now at www.hammerhead.io.
Although the Hammerhead isn't shipping until late spring, by all accounts, bicyclists will find it's worth the wait.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.