Your story is an excellent -- and much-needed -- reminder for all of us ["Paying attention prevents cooking fires" by Rebecca Sodergren, Food & Flavor, April 17].
If I may, I'd like to add a warning about greasy towels and rags, which is printed on the lid of my washer: "Do not wash or dry items soiled with vegetable or cooking oils because they may contain some oil after laundering. Doing so can result in death, explosion or fire." That includes items that are dampened with gasoline or other flammable fluids.
Even though I've been cooking for many years, I enjoy reading the food pages very much; there is always something new to learn.
JEANNE MILLER, Mt. Lebanon
Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Food at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 34 Blvd. of the Allies, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. We love hearing from readers and publish as many letters as we can. Find the story referred to above at post-gazette.com/food.