A stalemate in chess is a situation in which a player's king that is not in check can make no legal move, a deadlock. Does that sound like what is happening in Congress?
It is the responsibility of Congress to pay the bills racked up by Congress; now is the time for negotiations of the debt ceiling and the budget. Brinkmanship is a practice of pushing a dangerous situation to the limit of safety before stopping.
Do not all those Tea Party citizens who elected Tea Party politicians need affordable health care? The Affordable Care Act is the law of the land, and it is working. These citizens should be careful what they push for; they may need this law! As for politicians who go back to their districts and converse with their constituents and then return to Washington pushing the defeat of the Affordable Care Act even harder: Are they talking to real people?
Legislation to provide health care for all has been attempted many times and has been defeated each time -- until now. The 1 percent and 2 percent do not need the Affordable Care Act, but the other 98 percent do.
Each day is a stalemate. When will reason prevail? Proverbs 19:21: Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
BETTY ANN BOWSER
First Published October 11, 2013 8:00 PM