David Templeton's Sept. 9 article ("Music Scene's Molly Is Not a Friend to Drug Users") is an eye opener, at least to me. I consider myself to be a well-informed adult but had little awareness that Molly is a fairly common street drug.
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I was invited to attend a lecture given by a lady whose expertise is in dealing with youth afflicted with substance abuse. Again I was educated as to what is "out there" and how the various substances are referred to.
Among those in attendance at this lecture were a few parents who have dealt with the problem of substance abuse with their children. They seemed to echo what Dr. Neil Capretto points out: When someone says they plan to hang out with Molly, "Make sure they have a friend named Molly."
Something that personally chagrins me is the manner in which a report of the demise of a celebrity to an "accidental" overdose fails to mention addiction. Perhaps the fatality occurred because the user had little awareness of the consequences of the lethal combination of substances. Fentanyl causes respiratory arrest, and as Dr. Capretto points out in Mr. Templeton's article, "Acetyl fentanyl can often resemble heroin." In all likelihood the use of the substance was related to ignorance of the consequences but need based on addiction.
ED KELLY, M.D.
Upper St. Clair