The Baldwin girls soccer team ended its lengthy run of heartbreak Wednesday against Bethel Park, and it has the Highlanders on the cusp of a section title.
Carly Baumann scored off of Kelsie Balsam's free kick with 10 minutes left in the first half and Baldwin held on to win at Bethel Park, 1-0, in a key Class AAA Section 4 game.
Baldwin (11-2-2, 9-0-2) moved ahead of third-ranked Bethel Park (12-2-2, 8-1-1) into first place. The Highlanders can clinch the section title with a win Tuesday at Ringgold.
Baldwin had gone 0-11-2 in its past 13 games against Bethel Park and had not beaten the Black Hawks since 2006.
Bethel Park had not allowed a goal in its previous eight games.
Other top girls games
• Norwin ended Penn-Trafford's nine-game winning streak by defeating the visiting Warriors (12-4, 11-1), 2-0, in Class AAA Section 1. Abby Churchfield and Abbie Taroski scored for the Knights (13-1-2, 10-1-1).
• Aaliyah Odom scored two goals and goalkeeper Chelsea Huebner picked up the shutout for Plum (12-3, 8-3) in a 3-0, Class AAA Section 3 win at Gateway (8-6-1, 8-3-1).
• Class AA No. 1 Mars (15-0-2, 14-0) got goals from Tori Kopchak and Casey Merritt to win at Knoch (12-4-1, 10-3-1), 2-0, in Section 2.
• On senior night, Freeport senior Erica Jack scored a career-high five goals to lead the host Yellowjackets (10-6-1, 9-4-1) to an 8-1 win against Indiana (5-13, 2-12) in Class AA Section 2.
• Halee Fedrick had two goals and two assists and Chelsea Anderson added two goals to help Charleroi (11-1-1, 9-1-1) earn a 6-0 win at Monessen in Class A Section 2. Charleroi is 9-0-1 in its past 10 games.
• Sam Vanek scored 11 minutes into the second half and Class A No. 3 Bishop Canevin (12-2-1, 10-1) held on for a 1-0 triumph at Carlynton (8-7-2, 7-6-1) in Section 3.
• Maggie Scott's two goals helped Class A No. 2 Shady Side Academy (13-3, 10-2) roll to an 8-0 win at St. Joseph (2-15, 2-10) in Section 4.
• Malea Fabean scored two goals and set a state record with her 110th career assist, as Class A No. 1 Greensburg Central Catholic (13-1, 12-0) rolled to a 10-0 win at Jeannette (3-11-1, 2-9-1) in Section 4.
• Avonworth's Thanna Oddo set a school single-game record by scoring six goals in leading the Antelopes (13-3, 11-2) to an 11-0 win at Eden Christian (2-13, 0-11) in Class AA, Section 3.
• New Brighton (8-6-1, 8-4-1) clinched its first winning season in program history by defeating visiting Freedom (5-9-1, 5-7-1), 6-1, in Class A, Section 1. Maya Watkins scored three goals for New Brighton, which began the season 0-4.
• Lauren Kelly scored three goals to help Class AAA No. 1 Fox Chapel (14-1-1, 11-0-1) extend its unbeaten streak to 13 games with a 7-2 win at Oakland Catholic (7-9, 6-6) in Section 3.
• Jordan Toohey's four goals gave her 35 for the season and propelled host Mount Pleasant (9-5-2, 8-2-2) to a 10-0 victory against Uniontown (2-15, 1-11) in Class AA, Section 1.
• Scott Carson scored five minutes into overtime for Class A No. 3 Beaver Country Christian (11-4, 8-2) in a 2-1 home win against Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (9-4-1, 6-3) in Section 5.
• Perry's Joe Doubt shot a two-round total of 170 at North Park Golf Course to win the City League championship. Doubt, who had rounds of 83 and 87, topped his closest competitor by 21 strokes.
• Obama Academy's Swata Alagar won the City League singles title by defeating Carrick's Dana Strabryla, 6-0, 6-2, at Schenley Oval.
• In the first round of the WPIAL Class AAA team tournament, defending champion Peters Township (18-1) lost only five games on its way to a 5-0 win against visiting Woodland Hills.
First Published October 9, 2013 9:16 PM