Peters Township went 160 minutes of play this season against Canon-McMillan without scoring a goal.
Then in a half-minute, the Indians struck twice.
Jonathan Sion and Mario Mastrangelo scored 30 seconds apart in the second half to help lift Class AAA No. 5 Peters Township (11-2-1, 8-1-1) to a 3-1 road victory against No. 2 Canon-McMillan (11-2-2, 6-2-2) in Section 5.
The two teams played to a scoreless draw in the first meeting of the season, but Corey McCurdy scored with 16 minutes remaining in the first half Tuesday to put Canon-McMillan on top.
But the Indians broke through when Sion scored off a throw-in by Sean Harrison with 30 minutes remaining in the game. Mastrangelo followed with a goal off a corner kick shortly afterward.
Mastrangelo added his second goal with 16 minutes left to give the Indians some breathing room.
Other top boys' games
• Class AA No. 1 West Allegheny (13-0-2, 9-0-2) and No. 4 Quaker Valley (9-4-2, 7-3-1) played to a scoreless draw at Quaker Valley in Section 5. The Indians' Spencer Wolfe and the Quakers' Winter Fondi both had clean sheets.
• Joe DeAugustino and Brad Banks each scored to lead Class AAA No. 3 Seneca Valley (12-1-1, 10-0) to a 2-0 victory against visiting North Allegheny (9-4, 5-4) in Section 2.
• Chinedy Okoroafor and Gray Garrard each scored in a 2-0 victory for Class AA No. 4 Shady Side Academy (12-2, 11-0) against visiting Knoch (9-4-4, 7-2-2) in Section 2.
• Class A No. 1 Sewickley Academy (10-3, 8-0) got a goal from J.P. Bowell in a 3-0 victory against host Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (9-3-1, 6-2-0) in Section 5.
• Tyler Grebur scored two goals to lead Class A No. 4 Serra Catholic (12-3-1, 9-0-1) to a 3-0 victory against visiting South Allegheny (9-4-2, 3-4-2) in Section 1. Grebur now holds the school's career scoring record with 69 goals.
• Ryan Sproule scored four goals to lead Class AAA No. 4 Central Catholic (13-1-1, 11-0-0) to a 5-0 victory against host Allderdice (7-6-1, 5-6-1) in Section 3.
• Hunter Barber scored all four of host Albert Gallatin's goals in a 4-2 victory against McKeesport (1-15-1, 1-10) in Class AAA Section 4. The victory snapped a 14-game losing streak for the Colonials (2-15, 1-11).
• Led by Thomas Steve's even-par 71, Upper St. Clair won its WPIAL Class AAA semifinal at Ponderosa Golf Course by 21 shots against defending WPIAL champion Central Catholic. The Panthers, Vikings and Thomas Jefferson qualified for the WPIAL Class AAA final. Steve was the medalist.
• Peters Township shot a 391 to win the WPIAL Class AAA team semifinal at River Forest Country Club. Fox Chapel (398) and Indiana (414) also qualified for the WPIAL Class AAA final.
• Led by Owen Miller's even-par 70, defending district champion Burgettstown won its WPIAL Class AA semifinal at Cherry Creek Golf Course. Miller tied Serra Catholic's Max Kaminsky for the low round. In addition to the Blue Devils, Kittanning and Winchester Thurston qualified for Thursday's WPIAL Class AA championship.
• Last season's WPIAL runner-up, Sewickley Academy, shot a 390 to win its WPIAL Class AA semifinal at Castle Hills Golf Course by 23 shots against second-place Laurel. The Panthers, Spartans and Freeport advance to Thursday's WPIAL Class AA team final.
• Fox Chapel senior twins Ethan and Colin Martin have committed to run cross-country/track at the University of Michigan. They finished 1-2 in the 1,600-meter run at last season's WPIAL Class AAA track championships and will be among the favorites at the WPIAL Class AAA cross country championships later this month.
First Published October 8, 2013 8:00 PM