Tyler Mellors, Mount Pleasant
Last week: Mellors rushed for 226 yards and scored three touchdowns to help Mount Pleasant move to 5-0 with a 50-21 win at Yough.
Check this out: Mellors, a 5-foot-8, 170-pound senior running back, has been instrumental in helping Mount Pleasant earn a share of first place in the Class AA Interstate Conference. The Vikings play host to Jeannette (4-1) tonight and then travel to Washington (5-0) next week. Mellors is one of the top rushers in Class AA with 602 yards and 10 touchdowns. As a junior, he rushed for school records of 1,490 yards and 25 touchdowns. Mellors is 371 yards away from the school career rushing record (3,350 yards) held by 1970 graduate Bob Gorinski, who was later a first-round draft pick in baseball by the Minnesota Twins.
• How big are these next two games? They're huge. If we win, we get a home playoff game. This week and next week will tell us how good we are and what's going to go on. It's going to be challenge.
• Team not on your schedule you wish you could play? I would like to play Aliquippa or South Fayette. I like challenges.
• Best player in the WPIAL? I would go with (Aliquippa's) Dravon Henry.
• One thing about the town of Mount Pleasant that people should know? Everyone here is really nice. I think it's a great place. I know it's small, but there's a lot of stuff here people don't notice. I don't know, it's hard to explain. It's just a nice country area.
• How many games will the Steelers win this season? I hope they at least win one. (Laughs) I'll give them maybe six or seven.
• Last movie you saw in theaters? "Insidious: Chapter 2." It was a great movie.
• Your thoughts on the giant duck? I think it's funny. It's nice to see they have something going on and they've attracted people, obviously.
Seairra Barrett, Central Valley
Last week: Barrett, a 6-foot senior middle/right-side hitter, was named most valuable player at tournaments on two consecutive weekends -- Midwestern Athletic Conference Big Schools tournament (Sept. 21) and South Side Beaver tournament (Sept. 28). Barrett recorded 45 kills, 24 aces and 8 blocks at the South Side Beaver tournament.
Check this out: Barrett was a third-team All-WPIAL Class AA volleyball selection last year. Her spike approach touch is 10 feet 3, which is amazing for a girl her size. She also plays basketball and would like to continue her academic and athletic career in college, but hasn't decided which sport to play. Numerous NCAA Division I schools have shown an interest in her for volleyball.
• How long have you played each sport? I've been playing basketball since I was a young kid. I began playing volleyball in eighth grade.
• What are you looking for in a college? I want a college that's no further than 5 to 6 hours from home. I want to major in accounting. I will most likely accept the best offer.
• What's the farthest you've ever traveled for a match? Tennessee for a basketball tournament.
• If you could play for any college, which one would it be? I would love to play volleyball at Penn State.
• TV show you can't miss? Pretty Little Liars.
• Your thoughts on the giant duck? I've heard so much about it. I want to go see it.
• Most people might be surprised to know that ... I played the clarinet when I was younger.
• In the Olympics, do you prefer watching team volleyball or beach volleyball? Team volleyball. Beach volleyball is very difficult.
• Have you been following the Pirates? I've been watching them on TV, and we went to a few games. It's great to see them in the playoffs.