Canon-McMillan tried to recreate its 1-0 win in the 2012 WPIAL Class AAA boys soccer championship against Upper St. Clair Tuesday.
But Rob Mertz helped the top-ranked Panthers salvage a point.
Mertz scored the equalizer with 25 minutes left as visiting Upper St. Clair (4-0-1, 2-0-1) and the No. 3 Big Macs (3-0-1, 1-0-1) tied, 1-1, in Section 5.
Upper St. Clair defeated the Canon-McMillan three times in 2012, including in the PIAA quarterfinals on its way to a state title.
But the Big Macs took the WPIAL title match last season and got off to a quick start in their first meeting this season when Jake Wilcox scored five minutes into the game.
Entering Tuesday, Canon-McMillan had lost 14 consecutive regular-season games against the Panthers.
Other top boys' games
• Ben Meindl scored on a header in the first half and Alex Gedrys had a clean sheet to lead Class AA No. 2 South Fayette (6-0, 3-0) to a 1-0 Section 5 victory at No. 4 Quaker Valley (2-2-1, 1-1), the defending WPIAL Class AA champion.
• Abel Carlton scored two goals to help Class A No. 3 Beaver County Christian (2-2, 2-0) to a 5-2 road win against defending WPIAL champion Riverside (2-1, -1) in Section 5.
• Class A No. 5 Winchester Thurston (4-0, 1-0) got second-half goals from Tyler Coleman and Lucas Rosenblatt in a 2-0 victory against previously unbeaten South Allegheny (2-1, 0-2) in Class A Section 1. Goalkeeper Mathieu Lebiere earned the shutout.
• Justin Minda scored in overtime to give Class AA No. 3 South Park (4-0, 2-0) a 3-2 win against host Thomas Jefferson (2-4, 1-2) in Section 3.
• Shady Side Academy (3-2, 2-0) got two assists from Evan Brazinski in a 3-1 road victory against Class AA No. 5 Mars (3-2, 2-1) in Section 2.
Rams' offensive outburst
• Jeremy Perez and Nathaniel Patton each had four goals and Dylan Housley added a hat trick to lead Ringgold (6-2, 2-1) to a 15-0 win against Albert Gallatin (1-5, 0-3) in Class AAA Section 4.
• Thomas Steve shot a 1-under 33 and Grant Engel shot even par to lead Upper St. Clair to a 180-189 Class AAA Section 7 win against Canon-McMillan at St. Clair Country Club.
• Carter Ehms shot a 3-under 33 to help Eden Christian to a 202-264 Class AA Section 3 win against Summit Academy.