High School Hockey: North Allegheny prevails in OT
March 7, 2013 10:00 AM
Bethel Park celebrates its second goal of the first period in what turned into an onslaught as the Black Hawks routed Upper St. Clair, 5-1.
From local dispatches
North Allegheny seemed to be headed for another Penguins Cup quarterfinal loss.
The Tigers were in overtime in their PIHL Class AAA quarterfinal game Wednesday night against No. 6 Canon-McMillan and Big Macs all-star forward James Oddi was awarded a penalty shot against North Allegheny goaltender Bradford Thornburgh.
But Thornburgh stonewalled Oddi with a right leg pad save, and, 16 seconds later, Cody Black sent the Tigers to the semifinals.
Black took a drop-pass from Marty Hubert and beat goaltender Ryan Christian five minutes into the extra session to give North Allegheny (16-4-2) a 2-1 victory at Bladerunners in Warrendale.
The Tigers had lost in the quarterfinals in each of the past four seasons.
But Shawn Baird got North Allegheny off to a good start with a first-period goal.
Austin Tonkovich put in a rebound to tie the score at 1-1 in the second period.
Tonkovich had an excellent chance to win the game for the Big Macs (12-7-4) in overtime, but his backhand chance hit the post.
Thornburgh, the Class AAA leader in goals-against average this season, finished with 37 saves.
More Class AAA
• Bethel Park 5, Upper St. Clair 1: Austin Jameyson had two power-play goals in the first 8:36 and Austin McGinty stopped 11 of 12 shots to lift the No. 2 Black Hawks (17-5) to a victory against the No. 7 Panthers (13-8-2) at Bladerunners in Bethel Park. Austin Cassidy scored Upper St. Clair's goal.
Class AA quarterfinals
• Bishop Canevin 5, Plum 2: Austin Large scored two goals and added three assists to help the No. 1 Crusaders (17-1-2) beat the No. 8 Mustangs (9-11-1) at Mount Lebanon Ice Arena. Brennen Adams added four assists for Bishop Canevin, which beat Plum, 7-0, Nov. 1.
• Pine-Richland 6, Erie Cathedral Prep 2: The No. 4 Rams (15-4-1) had six players score a goal in their victory against the No. 5 Ramblers (13-7) at the Ice Connection of Pittsburgh. Pine-Richland outshot Erie Cathedral Prep, 46-17.
Class A quarterfinals
• Westmont Hilltop 4, Thomas Jefferson 3: Ian Campbell scored 4:51 into overtime to lift the No. 4 Hilltoppers (15-7-1) to a victory against No. 5 Jaguars (14-9) at Cambria County War Memorial in Johnstown. Nicholas Tamburi had a goal and an assist for Thomas Jefferson.
• Mars 8, Serra Catholic 2: Nicholas Berteotti had a hat trick and Nicholas Makozy added two goals to lead the No. 2 Planets (18-3-1) against the No. 7 Eagles (12-12) at Bladerunners in Warrendale. Christian Knapp stopped 27 shots to earn the victory.