Kiski Area rallied from a 15-3 deficit to record a 36-23 victory against Franklin Regional in a Class AAA Section 1A showdown Wednesday night at Kiski Area High School.
The Cavaliers (3-0) are ranked No. 2 in Class AAA in the WPIAL; the Panthers (2-1) are fifth. It was Kiski's fourth consecutive win against Franklin Regional.
The biggest win of the match came at 160 pounds, where Kiski Area's Kyle Skelly upended Josh Shields, who placed at the PIAA tournament in 2012, 4-2
"That was a pretty big win for us," Kiski Area coach Chuck Tursky said. "Kyle pulled it out with a big third period."
Tyler Worthing (195) and Matt McCutcheon (220) had pins for Kiski Area. Tyler Smith (132) had a fall for Franklin Regional.
The Panthers had two starters Michael Kemerer (126) and Luke Fleck (285) out of the lineup because of injuries.
Other Class AAA
• No. 1 Canon-McMillan (4-0) remained unbeaten in Section 4A with a 56-9 win against McGuffey (1-2). Connor Schram (132), William Pihiou (152), Sammy Minor (160), Cody Wiercioch (170), Alex Campbell (220), and Angelo Broglia (285) had pins for the Big Macs.
• No. 4 Hampton (3-0) took sole possession of first place in Section 3B with a 42-19 win against No. 8 Central Catholic (2-1). Jake Hart (195) and Andrew Siford (126) recorded pins for Hampton. Vincenzo Joseph (120) had a fall for Central Catholic.
• No. 7 Greensburg Salem recorded six pins en route to a 54-16 win against Penn-Trafford in Section 1B. Chris Eddins (106), Lukas Mangery (113), Josh Armstrong (120), Zach Sistek (145), Raistlen Willett (182), and Anthony Cable (195) had pins for the Golden Lions. Mike Risnear (132) and Zach Diable (285) had falls for Penn-Trafford.
• No. 2 South Fayette (3-0) remained unbeaten in Section 1A with a 55-21 victory against South Park (2-1). Seth Carr (120), Brandon Keck (145), and Brad Haney (182) registered pins for South Fayette. Greg Balsak (126) and Jake Wentzel (132) had falls for South Park.
• No. 5 Chartiers-Houston (3-0) recorded a Section 1A win against Avella (1-2). Tanner Sutton (145), Antonio Tatano (152), Dylan Shultz-Terling (182), and Josh Kraushaar (195) had pins for the Buccaneers. Andrew Haskakis (285) had a pin for Avella.