TAKING ONE FOR THE TEAM Central Valley's Ashley Mutkus heads the ball away from the goal in the first half of the Warriors' WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal match against South Park Wednesday night.
From local dispatches
Fielding a group of seven freshmen starters didn't stop the Central Valley girls soccer team from winning a section title.
It hasn't stopped them from reaching the WPIAL semifinals, either.
Freshman goalkeeper Robyn Hampe made three saves in a shootout to help Central Valley defeat South Park, 1-0, Wednesday in a Class AA quarterfinal at Chartiers Valley.
Central Valley (16-0-2) outscored South Park (13-5-1), 3-1, in the shootout.
Sophomore Karina Fratangeli scored the deciding goal.
More Class AA
• Belle Vernon 2, Hopewell 0: Goals from Hayden Pascoe and Lauren Kovalchuk helped the Leopards (17-2-1) eliminate the Vikings (13-3-3) at Baldwin.
• Bethel Park 1, Norwin 0: A.J. Baroffio scored her 35th goal of the season with 8:44 left in double overtime to push the Black Hawks (19-1) past the Knights (14-4-2) at Peters Township.
• Peters Township 1, Hampton 0: Morgan Creehan scored off a corner kick from Rachel Troscinski to help the top-seeded Indians (18-1) edge the visiting Talbots (11-8-1).
• Gateway 2, Canon-McMillan 1: Carly Seneca scored once in regulation and then booted in the deciding goal in the shootout to give the Gators (16-3-1) a win against the Big Macs (11-6-3) at Baldwin.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 7, Springdale 0: Frannie Crouse scored four goals and Malea Fabean chipped in two -- including the 100th of her career -- to help the defending champion Centurions (17-1) rout the Dynamos (9-11) at Gateway.
• Mohawk 1, Seton-LaSalle 0: Doreen Clark scored the winning goal in the shootout and the Warriors (10-8-1) won their quarterfinal game by slipping past the Rebels (8-11) at West Allegheny.
PIAA golf championships
• Led by Mackey Fouse's 5-over 77, Central Valley won the Class AA team championship at Heritage Hills Golf Resort in York. Penn-Trafford placed second in Class AAA.
• Owen Miller shot a 2-over 74 to help the Burgettstown boys finish third in Class AA. Central Catholic placed fifth in Class AAA.
WPIAL field hockey playoffs
• Fox Chapel 1, North Allegheny 0: Kate Hardiman scored with 11 seconds left in regulation to give the Foxes a win against the host Tigers in a Class AAA semifinal.