Fielding a group of seven freshmen starters didn't stop the Central Valley girls soccer team from winning a section title.
It hasn't stopped them from reaching the WPIAL semifinals, either.
Freshman goalkeeper Robyn Hampe made three saves in a shootout to help Central Valley defeat South Park, 1-0, Wednesday in a Class AA quarterfinal at Chartiers Valley.
Central Valley (16-0-2) outscored South Park (13-5-1), 3-1, in the shootout.
Sophomore Karina Fratangeli scored the deciding goal.
• Belle Vernon 2, Hopewell 0: Goals from Hayden Pascoe and Lauren Kovalchuk helped the Leopards (17-2-1) eliminate the Vikings (13-3-3) at Baldwin.
• Bethel Park 1, Norwin 0: A.J. Baroffio scored her 35th goal of the season with 8:44 left in double overtime to push the Black Hawks (19-1) past the Knights (14-4-2) at Peters Township.
• Peters Township 1, Hampton 0: Morgan Creehan scored off a corner kick from Rachel Troscinski to help the top-seeded Indians (18-1) edge the visiting Talbots (11-8-1).
• Gateway 2, Canon-McMillan 1: Carly Seneca scored once in regulation and then booted in the deciding goal in the shootout to give the Gators (16-3-1) a win against the Big Macs (11-6-3) at Baldwin.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 7, Springdale 0: Frannie Crouse scored four goals and Malea Fabean chipped in two -- including the 100th of her career -- to help the defending champion Centurions (17-1) rout the Dynamos (9-11) at Gateway.
• Mohawk 1, Seton-LaSalle 0: Doreen Clark scored the winning goal in the shootout and the Warriors (10-8-1) won their quarterfinal game by slipping past the Rebels (8-11) at West Allegheny.
• Led by Mackey Fouse's 5-over 77, Central Valley won the Class AA team championship at Heritage Hills Golf Resort in York. Penn-Trafford placed second in Class AAA.
• Owen Miller shot a 2-over 74 to help the Burgettstown boys finish third in Class AA. Central Catholic placed fifth in Class AAA.
• Fox Chapel 1, North Allegheny 0: Kate Hardiman scored with 11 seconds left in regulation to give the Foxes a win against the host Tigers in a Class AAA semifinal.hsother
First Published October 25, 2012 4:00 AM