With the section title on the line Monday, Kiski Area's Dakota Lange rose to the occasion.
Lange scored three goals to help the Cavaliers win the Class AAA Section 1 boys soccer title with a 4-2 victory at Franklin Regional.
It marked the third section championship in a row for Kiski Area (13-2-2, 10-1-1), which came into the game tied with Franklin Regional (11-3-2, 9-2-1).
Zach Wilson scored the other goal for Kiski Area.
The Cavaliers have won five games in a row and have not lost a road game this season.
Franklin Regional got goals from Jake Roberge and Danny McGrath.
The Panthers have lost three of their past four games.
The previous meeting between these two teams ended in a 1-1 draw.
• North Allegheny extended its unbeaten streak to nine games when Bill Ziolkowski scored with one minute left to give the Tigers (10-3-3) a 2-1 non-section victory against visiting Norwin (9-7).
• Jared Cole's goal with two minutes left allowed Springdale (13-3) to gain a 1-0 win at Woodland Hills (4-9-2) in a non-section game. Springdale goalkeeper Joey Wysocki earned his ninth shutout. The Dynamos already had clinched the Class A Section 2 championship.
• In a matchup of playoff-bound Class A Section 5 teams, Anthony Meneice scored six minutes into the game to push Riverside (12-4-1, 9-2-1) to a 1-0 win at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (7-8, 7-5). The Panthers have won six games in a row.
• Hannah Smith scored with eight minutes left and Courtney Hanchey scored two minutes later to lift host Franklin Regional (11-6, 8-4) to a 2-1 triumph against Kiski Area (4-13, 3-9) in Class AAA Section 1.
• Class AAA No. 1 Peters Township (16-1) got two goals from Olivia Roberson to gain a 2-1 non-section win at Norwin (12-3-2). The defending PIAA Class AAA champion Indians have not lost against a WPIAL team this season.
• Malea Fabean's two goals helped Class A No. 1 Greensburg Central Catholic (14-1) roll to a 4-0 win at Class AAA No. 4 Penn-Trafford (13-4) in non-section play. Penn-Trafford had won 11 games in a row.
• Carly Seneca scored two goals to give her 22 this season and propel Class AAA No. 5 Gateway (14-3-1) to a 3-1 non-section victory against visiting Hampton (10-6-1). The Talbots have lost three of their past four games.
• North Allegheny's Kevin O'Brien shot a 1-under 71 at Tom's Run Golf Course to lead 12 golfers -- 11 from the WPIAL -- who advanced to the PIAA Class AAA championship next week by posting qualifying scores at the West regional. WPIAL champion Brent Rodgers of Central Catholic did not qualify.
• In Class AA, Yough's Alex Patricio paced the field by shooting a 72 and was among 20 golfers to qualify for the PIAA championship. Twelve were from the WPIAL.
• In the Class AAA West regional, also at Tom's Run, Lauren Waller of Canon-McMillan was the medalist with an even-par 72. All six players that advanced to the PIAA championship were from the WPIAL.
• In Class AA, six WPIAL competitors qualified for the PIAA championship, including Central Valley's Macky Fouse, who placed second with a 78.
First Published October 16, 2012 4:00 AM