Highlights: Bethel Park passes 1st of 3 final exams
Avenges lone loss in section with win vs. Mt. Lebanon
October 10, 2012 4:00 AM
Sewickley Academy's Ben DiNardo, front, goes for the ball against South Side Beaver's Lucas Collett in a WPIAL Class A Section 5 match Tuesday. Sewickley Academy won, 10-0.
From local dispatches
Bethel Park boys soccer coach Mike Galietta called this a "monumental week" for his team, the section front-runner that faces the three teams directly behind it the final week of the regular season.
One down, two to go.
Jimmy Vehec scored with 11 minutes left to help Class AAA No. 4 Bethel Park avenge its lone Section 4 loss by edging visiting Mt. Lebanon, 1-0, Tuesday.
Goalkeeper Quentin Keibler earned the shutout for Bethel Park (13-2, 9-1), the defending section champion.
Mt. Lebanon dropped to 10-6-1 overall, 8-3 in the section.
Next up for Bethel Park is Ringgold (7-2) Thursday and Baldwin (7-4) Saturday.
Other top boys games
• Max Lindsay's goal with 10 minutes remaining enabled Class AAA No. 3 Peters Township (11-1-2, 8-0-2) to hold off visiting Canon-McMillan (11-4, 7-4), 1-0, in Section 5.
• Brandon Walbert scored in the first half and Justin Minda and Ryan Eggert added second-half goals for Class AA No. 1 South Park (15-0, 11-0) in a 3-0 home win against No. 5 Belle Vernon (11-3, 8-3) in Section 3. The Eagles have given up only five goals this season.
• In a showdown of ranked Class AA Section 5 teams, Michael Cummings scored midway through the second half to propel No. 4 West Allegheny (14-1, 10-1) to its seventh win in a row, a 1-0 home victory against No. 3 Quaker Valley (12-3-1, 9-2).
• Mason Lockard scored two goals as host Indiana (11-4, 9-2) handed Burrell (12-1-1, 9-1-1) its first loss, 5-1, in Class AA Section 1. The Bucs previously had allowed seven goals all season.
• Nick Kadunce scored the second of his two goals on a direct kick late in overtime as Knoch (7-7-1, 7-2-1) beat visiting Shady Side Academy (9-4, 7-3), 2-1, in Class AA Section 2.
• Christian Snyder's goal gave Riverview (11-5, 7-2) a three-goal halftime lead and the visiting Raiders were able to hang on to earn their seventh win in a row by defeating Class A No. 3 Vincentian (9-2, 7-2), 3-2, in Section 2.
• Neshannock (4-10-1, 3-7) got a goal from Connor Richards with 19 minutes left to upset visiting Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (7-5, 7-3), 1-0, in Class A Section 5. The Lancers had lost six of their previous seven games.
WPIAL boys team golf
• Latrobe shot a low score of 374 at a Division 1 team semifinal at Butler's Golf Course. The Wildcats were followed by Bethel Park and Central Catholic. All three teams advance to the championship Thursday at Cedarbrook Golf Course in Belle Vernon. North Allegheny, Peters Township and Hempfield advanced from the other semifinal Monday.
• In Division 2, Sewickley Academy, Neshannock and Winchester Thurston advanced to the championship from a semifinal at Donegal Highlands Golf Course. Three additional teams moved on from the other semifinal at Indian Run Golf Club. The Division 2 championship is Thursday at Cedarbrook Golf Course.
City league golf
• Brashear's Dan McNeill shot a 79 at North Park Golf Course to lead a group of seven who advanced to today's final round of the individual championships.