Second-seeded Latrobe earned a first-round bye in the WPIAL Class AAAA softball playoffs.
When Latrobe played its playoff opener Monday, Peters Township said "bye, bye" to the Wildcats.
Carly Konopka's RBI single in the first inning allowed No. 7 Peters Township to upset Latrobe, 1-0, in a quarterfinal at California University.
Konopka's hit scored Hannah Berardino, who had reached on an infield single.
Winning pitcher Kellyn Perich struck out 11 for the Indians (18-4).
Olivia Gumbita struck out 10 for Latrobe (15-5).
Other Class AAAA
• Canon-McMillan 6, Penn-Trafford 0: The No. 1 Big Macs (19-1) got home runs from Tara Fowler and Yaszmin Kotar to defeat the No. 9 Warriors (13-6) at California University.
• North Allegheny 7, McKeesport 5: Christine Scherer's two-run double in the sixth snapped a 4-4 tie and helped No. 3 North Allegheny (16-4) edge No. 6 McKeesport (17-5) at Hampton.
• West Mifflin 9, Trinity 5: Crystal Cook homered twice and drove in four runs to help the No. 7 Titans (17-4) upset the No. 2 Hillers (12-5) at California University.
• West Allegheny 1, Elizabeth Forward 0: Brianna Lach pitched a three-hitter and added an RBI double to push No. 5 West Allegheny (12-6) past No. 4 Elizabeth Forward (17-5) at Baldwin.
• Greensburg Salem 2, Blackhawk 0: Karly Mellinger's sacrifice fly helped No. 1 Greensburg Salem (19-2) defeat No. 8 Blackhawk (10-7) at Plum.
• Riverside 6, Steel Valley 0: Kirsten Wilson tossed a two-hitter with 15 strikeouts and hit two home runs in leading No. 3 Riverside (17-0) to a win against No. 11 Steel Valley (12-6) at North Hills.
• Beaver 7, Greensburg Central Catholic 2: Freshman twins Jen and Ashley Kondracki combined for four RBIs, vaulting No. 13 Beaver (12-6) to a win against No. 5 Greensburg C.C. (11-5) at Hampton.
• Burgettstown 2, South Side Beaver 1: No. 2 Burgettstown (16-4) scored its runs on two second-inning errors and held on to defeat No. 10 South Side Beaver (14-5) at Fairhaven Park in Kennedy Township.mobilehome - hsbaseball
First Published May 21, 2013 4:00 AM