Highlands was two outs away from pulling off one of the biggest WPIAL softball playoff upsets in a number of years.
Maggie Kallock had other plans.
Kallock hit a grand slam with one out in the top of the seventh inning to help No. 1 Greensburg Salem survive a major scare by defeating No. 16 Highlands, 6-5, in a Class AAA first-round game Thursday at Plum.
Highlands (8-7) took a 3-2 lead in the third, and the score remained that way until Kallock, a freshman, put Greensburg Salem (18-2) ahead, 6-3, with her only hit of the game.
Highlands then scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh.
Greensburg Salem's Taylor Mehan went 3 for 4 with an RBI.
Other Class AAA
• Ambridge 10, Laurel Highlands 0: Kelly Haslett fired a no-hitter with seven strikeouts in leading No. 3 Ambridge (14-3) to the win against No. 14 Laurel Highlands (7-10) at Fairhaven Park in Kennedy Township.
• Trinity 13, Brownsville 3: Delaney Elling had four RBIs and five of Trinity's 17 hits to push the No. 2 Hillers (12-4) past No. 15 Brownsville (9-11) at California University.
• West Allegheny 5, Mars 3: The No. 12 seed Indians (11-6) scored five runs in the first and held on to upset the No. 5 Planets (9-10) at Shaler. Rachel McLaughlin hit a two-run single for the Indians.
• West Mifflin 16, Mount Pleasant 2: Sydney Zalice hit a grand slam and Paige Flore pitched a five-hitter to help No. 7 West Mifflin (16-4) oust No. 10 Mount Pleasant (11-10) in five innings at Hempfield.
• Elizabeth Forward 6, New Castle 2: Winning pitcher Portia McBride struck out eight and Courtney Hrabosky had two RBIs to lead the No. 4 Warriors (17-4) to the win against No. 13 New Castle (8-7) at Fairhaven Park.
• South Park 11, Montour 4: Dana Achille and Katie Isenberg had three RBIs apiece to help No. 11 South Park (14-5) upset No. 6 Montour (12-7) at West Mifflin. Achille was also the winning pitcher.
• Blackhawk 6, Hampton 5: Heather Barrett's single scored Courtney Vannoy in the bottom of the 10th and enabled No. 7 Blackhawk (10-6) to squeak by No. 10 Hampton (6-11) at North Allegheny.
• Jeannette 11, Sewickley Academy 5: The No. 6 Jayhawks (15-3) scored six runs in the eighth to win a WPIAL playoff game for the first time in school history after defeating the No. 11 Panthers (9-8) at Plum. Jeannette's Brianna Crawford went 4 for 5 with three RBIs.
• Carmichaels 10, Riverview 0: Erica Burns tossed a shutout and Amanda Brown had two hits and three RBIs to help No. 3 Carmichaels (19-2) eliminate No. 14 Riverview (11-8) in six innings at California University.
• South Side Beaver 1, Leechburg 0: Freshman Connor McGaffic's home run in the fourth was all the offense No. 10 South Side Beaver (14-4) needed to defeat No. 7 Leechburg (11-6) at North Allegheny.
• Shenango 7, Sto-Rox 6: Taylor Biddle's RBI single in the top of the eighth allowed No. 12 Shenango (15-6) to upset No. 5 Sto-Rox (13-5) at Shaler. Shenango's Jen Petrucci had three RBIs, including a two-run home run.
• Frazier 3, Vincentian 2: Andrea Lash pitched a four-hitter and drove in the winning run with a double in the fourth to lift the No. 4 Commodores (17-2) to the win against No. 13 Vincentian (8-6) at Hempfield.
• Serra Catholic 7, Bishop Canevin 3: Amy McNeill's two-run single was the big blow in a four-run sixth that propelled No. 9 Serra (11-6) to the win against No. 8 Bishop Canevin (9-7) at West Mifflin. McNeill finished with three RBIs.mobilehome - hsbaseball