Batting with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning and the score tied, Carly Konopka needed only a single to give her team a win.
She figured a home run would be a bit more exciting.
Konopka's grand slam gave Peters Township an 8-4 win against Pine-Richland in a WPIAL Class AAAA first-round playoff game Tuesday at Baldwin.
Peters Township (17-4), the No. 7 seed, advanced to the quarterfinals for the fourth year in a row.
Kellyn Perich picked up the win in relief of Konopka.
Pine-Richland (9-7) was playing in its first playoff game since 2006.
Other Class AAAA
• Shaler 11, Woodland Hills 0: Freshman Brianna Dobson threw a perfect game with five strikeouts in leading the Titans (13-5) to the six-inning victory against the Wolverines (8-6) at North Allegheny. Maddie Mulig hit a two-run home run.
• McKeesport 11, Baldwin 10: Jessica Beitler's two-run home run in the top of the eighth helped the Tigers (17-4) edge the Highlanders (11-9) at Fairhaven Park in Kennedy. Mai Gooden hit a three-run home run for the Tigers, who also got home runs from Dom Clark and Kasey Dansak. Beitler was the winning pitcher.
• Hempfield 14, Gateway 0: Hope Pehrson's one-hitter vaulted the Spartans (16-5) to the five-inning win against the Gators (7-10) at Woodland Hills. Pehrson added a home run and four RBIs and Michaela LeDonne hit a three-run home run.
• Penn-Trafford 7, Plum 0: Winning pitcher Nicole Smith tossed a shutout for the Warriors (13-5) in the triumph against the Mustangs (14-7) at Gateway. The Warriors, who earned their first playoff victory since 2006, have won seven games in a row.
• Riverside 10, Bentworth 0: Kirsten Wilson fired a perfect game with 11 strikeouts to lead the Panthers (16-0) to the five-inning win against the Bearcats (9-9) at Fairhaven Park. Wilson added two hits and an RBI.
• Chartiers-Houston 10, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart 0: Kayla Briggs pitched a no-hitter and went 3 for 4 with three RBIs in leading the Bucs (17-0) to the win against the Chargers (8-7) at West Allegheny.
• Beaver 10, Seton-LaSalle 3: Bella Valent's three-run home run highlighted a six-run sixth for the Bobcats (11-6), who went on to upset the No. 4 seed Rebels (12-2) at West Allegheny. Winning pitcher Casey Farkasovsky pitched a three-hitter.
• Greensburg C.C. 9, Freeport 1: Julia Lang clubbed a three-run homer in the sixth to help the Centurions (11-4) roll to the win against the Yellow Jackets (11-7) at Woodland Hills.
• Steel Valley 2, Burrell 1: Skyler Vinay's two-run double in the third scored Madi Smith and Lisa Straub and proved to be the difference for the Ironmen (12-5) in the triumph against the Bucs (14-5) at Gateway.
• McGuffey 5, Keystone Oaks 4: Winning pitcher Cassie Weiss knocked in the decisive run in the eighth to push the Highlanders (15-5) past the Golden Eagles (10-6) at Baldwin.
• Mohawk 7, Brentwood 0: Jaki Bender tossed a three-hitter and Leah Woytek had three hits for the Warriors (14-3) in the win against the Spartans (9-5) at North Allegheny.