Hopewell and Blackhawk were expected to have two of the best baseball teams in Class AAA this season.
Thus far, Blackhawk has been so-so, and Hopewell remains perfect.
Logan Johnston's three-run home run in the fifth inning snapped a 2-2 tie and No. 1 Hopewell went on to grab a 9-4 home win Wednesday against No. 5 Blackhawk in Section 1.
Arion Sepp hit a two-run home run in the first for Hopewell (9-0, 2-0), which handed defending WPIAL champion Blackhawk (2-3, 1-1) its first section loss.
Winning pitcher Clayton Covalt struck out 10 in 52/3 innings.
Other top baseball games
• Matt McGraw and Vince D'Orazio each had two-run doubles in the fifth, and visiting Mt. Lebanon (3-4, 2-0) dealt Class AAAA No. 1 Bethel Park (8-1, 1-1) its first loss, 5-3, in Section 5.
• South Park became the first WPIAL team to win 10 games, as the Class AAA No. 3 Eagles (10-0, 3-0) handed host Elizabeth Forward (7-2, 1-2) its second loss in a row, 13-0, in Section 4. Winning pitcher Nick Yobbi had seven strikeouts in six innings.
• Jared Beach hit a three-run double in the seventh to give host Canon-McMillan (4-4, 2-0) a 12-11 victory against Upper St. Clair (4-4, 0-2) in Class AAAA Section 5.
• Danny Clark struck out 10 and went 3 for 4 with three RBIs for Indiana (6-2, 3-1) in a 12-0, five-inning win against visiting Mount Pleasant (3-4, 1-2) in Class AAA Section 2.
• Steve Kunzman's two-run homer helped Thomas Jefferson (6-3, 2-1) earn its fourth win in a row with a 15-12 triumph against visiting Class AAA No. 2 Belle Vernon (4-2, 1-1) in Section 4.
• Tyler Garbee hit a two-run home run to tie the score in the seventh and T.J. Kuny followed with a run-scoring single to lift host Quaker Valley (6-0, 4-0) to a 6-5 win against Seton-LaSalle (3-3, 3-1) in Class AA Section 1.
Top softball game
• Erica Burns tossed a two-hitter with 18 strikeouts for Class A No. 2 Carmichaels (9-1, 5-0) in a 3-1 Section 2 win against visiting Jefferson-Morgan (4-4, 2-4).