Gateway held off a furious fourth-quarter comeback to capture a 50-49 victory against McDowell in a first-round PIAA Class AAAA girls basketball game Friday night at Gannon University.
The Gators (20-5) led, 47-31, in the fourth quarter before McDowell came back and cut the lead to four points. McDowell hit a 3-pointer as time ran out.
Katey Wilson led the balanced Gators with 12 points. Maria Taylor and Chelsea Richardson added 11 apiece. Wilson and Taylor led the Gators with eight and seven rebounds, respectively. Morgan Hainsey added six rebounds and five blocks.
Marissa Molnar led McDowell (13-11) with 11 points. Bri Krysiak added 10.
Other Class AAAA games
• Chartiers Valley 70, Allderdice 41: Kassidy O'Keefe and Kristen McGeough led the Colts (20-7) with 15 points each in a first-round game at Carrick. Chartiers Valley raced to a 45-18 halftime lead and cruised past the Dragons (12-14). Alexa Golden added 11 points. Sydnee Abernathy led Allderdice with 18 points. The Colts' Mariah Wells missed the game with a leg injury.
• Penn-Trafford 50, Hollidaysburg 41: Casey Aunkst scored half of her 12 points in the fourth quarter on six free throws as the Warriors earned a first-round victory at Altoona. Maddy Mossellem and Nicole Hyland added 10 points each for the Warriors (20-5).
• Bishop Canevin 51, Westmont Hilltop 37: Carly Forse scored 10 of her game-high 25 points in the fourth quarter to lead the WPIAL Class AA champion Crusaders to a first-round victory against the Hilltoppers at North Hills. Erin Waskowiak added 17 points for the Crusaders (23-4).
• Seton-LaSalle 67, Kane 16: The WPIAL Class AA runner-up Rebels raced to a 30-2 lead in the first quarter at North Allegheny to improve to 25-2. Natalie Piaggesi and Naje Gibson each scored 16 points to pace Seton-LaSalle. Nicolette Newman added 13 points. Gibson had 10 rebounds, and Angela Heintz had nine assists.
• Mohawk 52, Everett 44: Shelby Brown scored 27 points to lead the Warriors (18-7) to a first-round victory at Pitt-Johnstown. Mohawk broke a third-quarter tie as four different players hit 3-pointers for the Warriors.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 58, Blairsville 39: Devon Lark scored 20 points and secured 10 rebounds as the Centurions improved to 18-7 in a first-round victory against Blairsville at Central Cambria. Carolyn Appleby added 12 points for the Centurions.
• General McLane 51, Jeannette 34: Ciara Gregory scored 19 points in her final game as the Jayhawks (17-8) fell in a first-round game at Edinboro. Gregory, who entered the game averaging 30.9 points in playoff competition, finished her career with 2,130 points.
• Burrell 65, Bellwood Antis 46: Sydney Bordonaro scored 27 points and Natalie Myers scored 10 of her 16 points in the fourth quarter as the Buccaneers (23-3) earned a first-round victory at Plum.
• North East 59, McGuffey 49: Sammie Weiss scored 15 points and Rachel Czulewicz added 14 for the Highlands (20-4), but their season came to an end with a first-round loss at Gannon. Alex Artise led North East with 14 points.mobilehome - hsbasketball