When the opposing team's student section begins chanting, "It's a shutout," midway through the second quarter, you know your team's in trouble.
Saturday, Upper St. Clair was on the wrong end of that chorus.
Seneca Valley held No. 4-seeded Upper St. Clair scoreless until the 4:44 mark of the second quarter and went on to defeat the Panthers, 44-34, Saturday in a WPIAL Class AAAA quarterfinal at North Allegheny.
The No. 12 Raiders (17-7) will play No. 1 New Castle Wednesday in the semifinals. All four semifinalists are from Section 3.
Seneca Valley led Upper St. Clair, 6-0, after the first quarter, and the Panthers (20-4) did not score until Jordan Grabowski's three-point play made it 14-3.
Upper St. Clair missed its first 14 shots and committed seven turnovers before scoring its first basket.
"I think their size really bothered us," Upper St. Clair coach Danny Holzer said. "I thought we were getting open looks, but they were a little bit deeper and a little bit rushed because of their size."
Upper St. Clair fought back and got within 32-30 with 2:35 left in the game, but Seneca Valley outscored the Panthers, 12-4, the rest of the way
R.J. McCauley led Seneca Valley with 13 points, and Grabowski paced Upper St. Clair with 16.
Other Class AAAA
• Hampton 71, McKeesport 63: Ryan Luther scored 24 of his 31 points in the first half -- including 18 in the second quarter -- to lead No. 3 Hampton (20-4) to a win against No. 11 McKeesport (15-8) at North Allegheny. Jordon Payne scored 12 points for McKeesport.
• North Allegheny 79, Fox Chapel 61: No. 2 North Allegheny (21-3) outscored No. 10 Fox Chapel (17-7), 27-10, in the fourth quarter to grab a win at North Hills. R.J. Colabrese scored 12 of his 18 points in the final quarter for the Tigers. Matt D'Amico led Fox Chapel with 23 points.
• Beaver Falls 66, Brentwood 36: Elijah Cottrill's 22 points propelled No. 1 seed and defending champion Beaver Falls (21-3) to a win against Brentwood (14-10) at Ambridge. Beaver Falls forced 28 turnovers. Jason Pilarski had 21 points for Brentwood.
• Burrell 67, Greensburg Central Catholic 63: Burrell (18-6) is in the semifinals for the first time since 1979 courtesy of an overtime victory against No. 2 Greensburg Central Catholic (22-2) at Plum. Burrell's Pete Spagnolo scored six of his team-high 16 points in overtime.
• Apollo-Ridge 53, Jeannette 49: After falling behind by 18 points in the first quarter, Apollo-Ridge (18-7) rallied to advance to its first semifinal since 1988 by upsetting No. 4 Jeannette (18-5) at Plum. Tre Tipton and Connor Billingsley led Apollo-Ridge with 13 points apiece.
• Quaker Valley 62, Seton-LaSalle 61: Nelson Westwood scored 20 points to help No. 6 Quaker Valley (20-4) defeat No. 3 Seton-LaSalle (21-3) at North Hills. Ryan Norkus scored 18 points for Seton-LaSalle.