For the second year in a row, Hempfield's season ended in an upset loss to Upper St. Clair.
The No. 13-seeded Panthers (12-11) outscored No. 4 Hempfield (19-4) by 11 in the second half to rally for a 53-48 win in a WPIAL Class AAAA first-round game at North Allegheny.
Rachel Mazzie led the Upper St. Clair charge, scoring 12 of her 14 points after halftime. Jordan Serio added 13 points.
Chartiers Valley 31, Shaler 29
Chartiers Valley takes on Shaler in Friday night action. (video by Matt Freed; 2/15/2013)
It was Serio who hit a last-second shot to help No. 14 Upper St. Clair knock off No. 6 Hempfield a year ago in the Class AAAA quarterfinals. .
The Spartans, who finished 14-0 in Section 1, were led by Monica Burns' 17 points.
Other Class AAAA games
• Chartiers Valley 31, Shaler 29: After No. 12 seed Shaler (11-12) went on a 17-3 run to tie the score, Mariah Wells hit two free throws with 19.5 seconds left to lift the No. 5 Colts (17-6) to a first-round win at North Hills. Wells finished with 11 points.
• Norwin 68, Penn Hills 56: Norwin (13-10) led, 44-23, at halftime and cruised to a victory against the Indians (9-14) in a preliminary-round game at Gateway. Alayna Gribble led the Knights with 18 points.
• Baldwin 54, Latrobe 39: In a preliminary-round game at Penn-Trafford, Nikki Corcoran scored 15 points to lead the Highlanders (11-11) past the Wildcats (9-14).
• Franklin Regional 60, Albert Gallatin 32: Sarah Stephens scored 12 points to lead the Panthers (11-12) to a preliminary-round win against the Colonials (11-12) at Penn-Trafford.
Class AA preliminary round
• Beaver 45, Chartiers-Houston 43: At West Allegheny, the Bucs (14-9) sent the game into overtime on a basket by Tori Foster with two seconds left in regulation, but Beaver (17-4) started the extra session on a 7-2 run to advance. Lexi Posset led the Bobcats with 14 points.
• Washington 36, Ford City 32: Mya Gordon had 13 points, including a 3-pointer to give the Little Prexies (13-10) a four-point lead with less than three minutes to play, in a victory against the Sabers (14-9) at Yough.
• Steel Valley 59, Avonworth 34: CeCe Dixon scored 23 points and Steel Valley (15-7) hit 10 3-pointers against the Antelopes (13-9) at Peters Township.
• Neshannock 47, West Shamokin 38: Madison McHale scored 18 of her 28 points in the second half to help the Lancers (12-11) rally from a five-point halftime deficit against the Wolves (12-11) at Highlands.
• Beaver Falls 59, South Side Beaver 30: Kashius Harris had 11 points and 16 rebounds to lead the Tigers (15-8) past the Rams (7-15) at Aliquippa.
• Riverside 54, Springdale 35: Led by Alex Deep's 29 points and 12 rebounds, Riverside (15-8) cruised to a win against the Dynamos (11-12) at Keystone Oaks.
• OLSH 42, Riverview 28: A 17-4 first-half run propelled the Chargers (19-4) past the Raiders (13-8) at Cornell.
• Carlynton 33, Charleroi 31: Jordan Melko scored 13 points to lift Carlynton (13-10) past Charleroi (15-7) at Chartiers Valley.
City League quarterfinals
• Westinghouse 45, Brashear 20: Brittany Jackson and Jasmine Myers combined to score 32 points to lead the Bulldogs (14-9) past visiting Brashear (1-22).
• Allderdice 59, Perry 33: The host Dragons (11-12) outscored Perry (3-15) by 22 points in the second half to pull away for a victory.
First Published February 16, 2013 5:00 AM