For the second week in a row, the Bethel Park girls rallied for a win against one of Class AAAA's best.
The top-ranked Black Hawks trailed host Chartiers Valley by 10 points after the first quarter, but Harper Zimmer hit the winning basket with 15 seconds remaining to give Bethel Park a 37-36 win against the third-ranked Colts.
This came one week after Bethel Park beat second-ranked Mt. Lebanon after trailing by five points with four minutes remaining.
The Black Hawks improved to 11-1 overall, 5-0 in Section 4.
Megan Marecic led Bethel Park with 15 points, while Zimmer finished with 11.
Chartiers Valley (8-4, 4-2), which lost by three points Monday to Mt. Lebanon, was led by Kassidy O'Keefe's 13 points.
Other top girls games
• Class AAAA No. 2 Mt. Lebanon (10-2, 4-1) trailed by four points entering the fourth quarter, but rallied for a 44-38 win against host Baldwin (5-6, 2-3) in a Section 4 matchup. Amanda Frosztega led the Blue Devils with 10 points.
• Class AAA No. 1 Blackhawk (13-0, 5-0) led by 25 points entering the fourth quarter and handed visiting No. 4 Central Valley (10-1, 4-1) its first loss of the season, 62-46, in a Section 2 showdown. Chasidy Omogrosso led the Cougars with 17 points and six steals, while Seairra Barrett had a game-high 21 points for the Warriors.
• Claire Oberdorf scored 26 points to lead Greensburg Salem (8-3, 5-0) to a 61-41 victory against visiting Indiana (8-4, 4-1) in a Class AAA Section 3 matchup.
• Sydnee Abernathy scored 29 points to lead Allderdice (7-4), the top-ranked team in the City League, to a 57-43 victory against visiting Quaker Valley (6-5). Rachel Smith led the Quakers with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
• Kenna Drazich scored 15 points to help host Avella (7-4, 3-0) to an upset against Class A No. 4-ranked Carmichaels (11-2, 2-1), 58-51, in a Section 3 battle.
One in the win column
• Mariah Ward scored 25 points as Monessen (1-8, 1-2) recorded its first win of the season, a 48-27 overtime victory against host Winchester Thurston (5-5, 2-1), in a Class A Section 4 matchup.
• Led by 15 points from Kristen Roy, Burgettstown (1-11, 1-4) won its first game of the season, 43-32, against host Beth-Center (2-9, 0-5) in a Class AA Section 5 game.
• Hopewell senior Shatori Walker-Kimbrough scored 25 points to give her 2,013 points for her career, leading the o. 2 Vikings (11-1, 4-1) to a 56-45 victory against visiting Ambridge (6-4, 2-3) in Class AAA Section 2.
• North Catholic senior Lauren Wolosik went over the 1,000-point mark as the No. 3 Trojans (7-5, 5-0) recorded a 57-17 victory against host St. Joseph (6-6, 3-3) in Class A Section 2. Wolosik scored 25 of her 29 points in the first half and has 1,014 points for her career.
Stars of the night
• Hampton's Sara Pilarski recorded her first career triple-double, scoring 20 points, grabbing 14 rebounds and blocking 10 shots as the Talbots (9-3, 5-0) beat host Freeport (4-8, 2-3), 63-18, in a Class AAA Section 1 contest.
• WPIAL leading scorer Ciara Gregory had 37 points to lead Jeannette (8-3, 5-0) to a 54-47 victory against host Shady Side Academy (5-8, 3-3) in a Class AA Section 3 matchup.
Girls hot shots
• Players who had four or more 3-pointers: Jaylee Patterson, South Allegheny, 6; Lexi LoNero, Winchester Thurston, 6; Monica Burns, Hempfield, 5; Sara Getsy, Mars, 4; Halie Torris, South Park, 4; Katie Fischer, Ambridge, 4; Cassidy Guiser, Frazier, 4; Emily Mastroianni, Montour, 4.mobilehome - hsbasketball
First Published January 11, 2013 5:00 AM