Seton-LaSalle has been one of the most the dominant basketball programs in Pennsylvania in recent years and the No. 1 team in WPIAL Class AA showed Thursday that it also can successfully compete outside the state.
The unbeaten Rebels (7-0) won their 37th consecutive game and 60th in 61 games with an impressive 75-55 win against Northland at the Pickerington (Ohio) Classic.
Seton-La Salle had four players score in double figures, led by Nicolete Newman with 17, Natalie Piaggesi with 15, Angela Heintz with 12 and Cassidy Walsh 11. Heintz, a Duquesne recruit, reached a milestone in career points with 1,001.
Syracuse recruit Alexis Peterson netted 30, but was the only Northland player in double figures.
The Vikings (8-2) are out of suburban Columbus.
Other top girls games
• Class A No. 1 Vincentian (7-0) routed Shenango, 70-31, as Brenna Wise led the Royals with 18 points and six rebounds at the Penn State-Beaver tournament.
• Maddy Mossellem's 13 points led Class AAAA No. 4 Penn-Trafford (7-0) to a 58-43win against Class A No. 3 North Catholic (4-3) at the North Allegheny tournament. Lauren Wolosik led North Catholic with 19 points. In another first-round contest, host North Allegheny defeated Plum, 56-41. Taylor Brennan and Devvin LaBarge led the Tigers (5-2) with 13 points each.
• Uniontown (6-1) scored a surprisingly one-sided 85-56 victory against Class AA No. 5 Jeannette (5-2) at the Laurel Highlands tournament. Jessy Madison led the Raiders with 24 points. Charlotte recruit Ciara Gregory of Jeannette scored 25 points, 10 below her season average.
• Maryland recruit Shatori Walker-Kimbrough led Class AAA No. 1 Hopewell (7-1) to a 68-15 win against Sto-Rox (1-6) at the Mars tournament. Walker-Kimbrough had 31 points, 10 rebounds and six assists.
• Duke recruit Erin Mathias of Fox Chapel netted 22 points, including 10 in the fourth quarter, and 11 rebounds as the Foxes (8-0) topped tournament host Erie McDowell, 42-33.
• Jill Glover's 14-point effort for tournament host West Shamokin in a 57-27 win against Highlands gave her 1,007 for her career.
• Players with four or more 3-pointers: Taylor Kokoska, Latrobe, 5; Dana Eastman, Franklin Regional, 5; Taylor Brennan, North Allegheny, 4; Alyssa Machesky, Uniontown, 4; Madison Serio, Upper St. Clair, 4; Maggie Kimmich, Franklin Regional, 4; Haley Angerett, Slippery Rock, 4.