Beaver Falls, the second-ranked team in Class AA, knew it was going to face a Class AAA team Thursday night. The Tigers had no idea they were going to see a triple-double.
Montour's Devin Wilson scored 18 points and added 11 assists and 11 rebounds to lead the Class AAA No. 4 Spartans to a 70-62 win in a showdown at the Montour tournament.
Wilson scored nine of his 18 points in the fourth quarter to help Montour (6-1) erase what had been a 32-30 Beaver Falls halftime lead. Kevin Scuilli and Justin Hill both scored 16 points for Montour while Elijah Cottrill paced Beaver Falls (5-2) with 18 points.
Other top boys games
• Class AAAA No. 4 North Allegheny overcame a slow start at its own tournament to roll past Class A No. 1 North Catholic, 82-56. After being held to eight points in the first half, the Tigers stormed back to score 74 in the final three quarters. North Allegheny (8-0) was led by 23 points from Sean Hennigan. Pat Reilly and Dominic Robb each scored 13 for the Trojans (4-2).
• Matt D'Amico scored 10 of his 25 points from the free-throw line as Fox Chapel (8-0) remained perfect by edging Hempfield (7-2), 67-65, in the Montour tournament.
• Tournament host Seneca Valley overcame an eight-point, fourth-quarter deficit to rally to a victory against Plum (3-5), 60-55, in overtime. Easton Bazzoli led the Raiders (5-2) with 20 points while Plum's Nick Stotler led all scorers with 24.
• Dylan Mitchell's 3-pointer at the end of regulation forced overtime, and North Hills went on to defeat City League No. 2 Perry (3-3), 63-57, in overtime at the Moon tournament. The Indians (3-5) were led by Joel Pepmeyer who had a career-high 34 points and 12 rebounds.
• Zach Herman poured in 29 points to help Class AA No. 4 Greensburg Central Catholic (8-0) rally in the fourth quarter and beat Wilkinsburg (2-4), 64-55, at the Gateway tournament. Jonathan Blue scored 19 for the Tigers who led, 40-37, going into the fourth quarter.
• Class AAAA No. 3 Gateway (5-0) jumped out to a 19-1 lead after the first quarter on its way to a 63-26 romp over Class A No. 4 Clairton (1-1). DJ Boyce scored 18 to pace the Gators.
• The City League's top-ranked team, Obama Academy (4-1), outscored Penn Trafford (5-2) by seven in the fourth quarter to come away with an 81-77 win at the Shady Side Academy tournament. D.J. Porter led Obama with 22 points while Andy Abreu and Corey Stanford both scored 23 for the Warriors.
• Five players scored in double figures for Kiski (5-3) in its 87-76 win over Keystone Oaks (3-5) at the Hampton tournament. Keystone Oaks' Cory Sevacko scored a game-high 28.
Stars of the night
• Shaler's Geno Thorpe only needed three quarters to amass 30 points as the Titans (5-4) rolled to a 66-47 win over Hopewell (2-5) at the C.J. Betters Tournament. Thorpe, who scored 20 in the first half, did not play in the fourth quarter.
• Darrious Carter scored 18 points and added 20 rebounds to help lift Class AAA Indiana over Class AA No. 5 Washington (6-1), 66-57.
Boys hot shots
• Players who made five or more 3-pointers: Evan Bonnaure, South Fayette, 7; Matt Indorante, Charleroi, 5; Mike Hauman, Hempfield, 5; Ryan Maha, West Mifflin, 5; Xavier Ellis, Uniontown, 5; Sean Hennigan, North Allegheny, 5; Joe Mancini, North Allegheny 5.
First Published December 28, 2012 5:00 AM