The windows of The Presbyterian Church, Sewickley, tell the history of stained glass in America, according to Albert Tannler, historical collections director of the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
At 11 a.m. next Saturday, two church members will share their stories and lead a tour as part of a free program, "Morning Coffee & Stained Glass." Mary Beth Pastorius and Eliza Nevin will present an in-depth overview of a new booklet on the history of the windows and the church that will be available during the talk.
The church contains three of four LaFarge windows in the Pittsburgh area (the fourth is in the Frick Building, Downtown), seven Tiffany windows and what is believed to be the only window in the area by D. Maitland Armstrong and his daughter, Helen Maitland Armstrong. There are also pieces by Charles Connick Studios and Howard Wilbert and an 1871 children's window by an unknown artist.
A 40-minute PowerPoint presentation will precede the tour in the dining room on the lower level of the church, 414 Grant St., Sewickley (15143). The church is taking orders for hard-cover bound copies of the Memorials in Stained Glass booklet. The cost is $15 and the order deadline is April 15. To order a copy or for information or directions to the April 13 program, contact Jennifer Johnson at The Presbyterian Church, 412-741-4550, ext. 210, or email@example.com.