High school highlights: West Allegheny shuts out Seneca Valley
October 16, 2013 4:00 AM
Central Catholic's Paul Bence works the ball against Upper St. Clair's Dom Caruso Tuesday. Upper St. Clair, ranked No. 1 in Class AAAA, defeated No. 4 Central Catholic, 4-1.
From local dispatches
In its final tune-up before the WPIAL playoffs, Class AA No. 1 West Allegheny faced a stiff test against Class AAA No. 2 Seneca Valley in boys soccer.
But just like every other team to face the Indians this season, the Raiders were unable to register a victory.
Michael Cummings scored with two minutes remaining to lift West Allegheny (14-0-3) to a 1-0 non-section victory against the host Raiders (14-2-1).
Goalkeeper Spencer Wolfe recorded the shutout. It was the 11th shutout of the season for the Indians, who are one of only two boys teams in the WPIAL without a loss along with Upper St. Clair.
The loss snapped Seneca Valley's 14-game winning streak.
Other top boys games
• Class AAA No. 1 Upper St. Clair (17-0-1) improved to 4-0-1 this season against top-five teams in the classification after beating No. 4 Central Catholic (13-3-1) at home, 6-1, in non-section action. Six Panthers scored, including Joel Hart, who notched his 30th goal this season.
• Class AA No. 2 South Park (17-1) rallied from a three-goal deficit to beat host Mt. Lebanon (10-6-2), 4-3, in a non-section game. Ryan Clydesdale scored the winner with 23 seconds remaining.
• McGuffey used goals from brothers Tyler and Aaron Harris to help the host Highlanders (13-4-1) tie Class AAA No. 3 Peters Township (13-3-2), 2-2.
• Senior Kyle Hicken scored with 22:13 remaining to help Chartiers Valley (5-8-3) upset visiting Bethel Park (13-4-1), 1-0, in a non-section matchup.
• Abel Carlton scored two goals and added two assists to lead Class A No. 3 Beaver County Christian (12-4) to a non-section victory against host Blackhawk (15-2-1). The loss snapped the Cougars' 10-game winning streak.
• Adam Richards had two goals to help Class AA No. 5 Quaker Valley (11-4-2) notch a 3-1 non-section win against visiting Moon (8-8-2).
• Owen Hoffman scored with 3:08 remaining in the second overtime to lift Pine-Richland (10-7-1) to a 2-1 victory against host Woodland Hills (4-12-1) in a non-section meeting.
Top boys performers
• Senior Jack Hannahs notched a hat trick in a 4-0 victory for Norwin (10-6-1, 10-2-0) against visiting Latrobe (3-15, 0-12) in Class AAA Section 1.
• Senior Anthony Stinson scored a career-high four goals to lead Class A No. 1 Sewickley Academy (14-3) to a 7-2 non-section victory against host Hopewell (6-11).
• Senior Tim Clybourn had three goals and two assists in a 10-2 non-section victory for Brashear (2-12-1) against host Carrick (0-17).
• Junior Adrian Bayemi had three goals and an assist to lead Winchester Thurston (13-3) to a 9-0 non-section win against host Brentwood (3-12-1).
Top girls games
• Class AAA No. 5 North Allegheny (15-2-1) got goals from Savana Yurick and Sarah Chomos in a 2-1 victory against visiting Norwin (14-2-2) in a non-section matchup.
• Sydne Slingluff scored late in the first half to give Neshannock (11-2-3, 10-2-2) a 1-0 victory against visiting Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (8-8, 8-6) in Class A Section 1. Madison McHale made 10 saves in the win.
Top girls performers
• Senior Hayden Pascoe scored four goals, giving her 102 for her career, in a 6-0 victory for Belle Vernon (13-4-1, 9-2-1) against visiting West Mifflin (4-10-1, 3-8-1) in Class AA Section 4.
• Senior Melissa McCarthy, the usual starting goalkeeper for Keystone Oaks, played up front and scored three goals in an 8-1 non-section victory for the Golden Eagles (6-12) against Monessen (0-18).