Cole Pappas of Avonworth heads the ball during Seton-LaSalle''s 1-0 defeat of Avonworth in overtime at home in Dormont on Tuesday.
From local dispatches
Montour entered its boys soccer match against Class AA No. 2 South Fayette Tuesday night on a four-game winning streak, including a victory Saturday against Class AA No. 4 Quaker Valley.
But the Spartans (5-4, 4-3) became the latest team unable to penetrate the Lions defense.
South Fayette (10-0-1, 6-0-1) got a goal from Brian Coyne and another shutout from goalkeeper Alex Gedrys in a 1-0 home win in Section 5.
South Fayette has outscored its opponents this season, 40-0.
Other top boys games
• Kevin Hudson scored eight minutes into overtime to give Class A No. 2 Seton-LaSalle (7-0-1, 6-0-1) a 1-0 victory against visiting Avonworth (3-5-1, 3-3-0) in Section 3.
• Tanner Bass, Steven Ellis and John Bal each scored in a 3-0 road victory for Class AAA Moon (5-4-1) against Class A No. 1 Sewickley Academy (6-2).
• Charlie Orr scored 20 minutes into the game to give Class A No. 5 Winchester Thurston (7-2) a 1-0 non-conference victory against visiting Geibel Catholic (5-2-2).
• Dutch Shaffer scored with seven minutes remaining to give Kiski Area (8-2, 6-1) a 2-1 win against host Penn Trafford (5-3-1, 4-3-0) in Class AAA Section 1.
• Pine-Richland's John Engel scored with 16 seconds remaining to lift the Rams (7-3-1) past host Penn Hills (5-2-2), 2-1, in a non-conference match.
• Deer Lakes (7-2-2, 4-2-1) stunned host Mars (7-4, 4-3), 2-1, in Class AA Section 2 as Dylan Mort scored the winning goal with 10 seconds remaining.
• Upper St. Clair senior Thomas Steve shot a 2-over 74 at Youghiogheny Country Club to win one of the three WPIAL Class AAA individual semifinal tournaments. Steve finished third in the WPIAL championships last season.
• Uniontown senior Luke Wallace shot a 4-over 74 at Hannastown Golf Club to win another of the three WPIAL Class AAA individual semifinals. Indiana senior Matt Holuta, the WPIAL Class AAA runner-up last year, finished in a tie for fifth to qualify for the district championships.
• Baldwin junior Zach Taylor shot a 7-over 77 at Cranberry Highlands Country Club to win the third of the three WPIAL Class AAA individual semifinals.
• Caroline Seekings scored with 12:31 remaining in overtime to give host Oakland Catholic a 2-1 victory against defending WPIAL Class AAA champion Fox Chapel in Secton 2.