Something happened to the Mars girls' soccer team Wednesday that had not taken place in quite some time.
The Planets lost a match.
Lydia Sargent scored with 3:13 left in the first overtime and Class AAA No. 3 Pine-Richland hung on to defeat visiting Class AA No. 1 Mars, 4-3, in a non-section match.
Mars (1-1) went 25-0-1 a year ago on its way to winning WPIAL and PIAA championships. It was the Planets' first loss to a WPIAL team since Oct. 27, 2009.
Olivia Brandy's second-half goal gave Pine-Richland (2-0) a 3-1 lead, but Mars fought back and tied the score when Karli Paracca tallied her third goal with 4:10 left in regulation.
Tess Drothar and Catherine Eichenlaub had the other goals for Pine-Richland.
• Ryleigh Gapczynski scored 30 seconds into overtime to give host North Allegheny (2-0, 1-0) a 2-1 win against Shaler (0-1, 0-1) in Class AAA Section 2.
• Amanda Spencer scored on a penalty kick midway through the first half to help visiting Hampton (1-0, 1-0) upset Class AAA No. 5 Seneca Valley (0-1, 0-1), 1-0, in Section 2.
• Aaliyah Odom scored the final of her three goals in overtime to lift host Plum (2-1, 1-0) to a 3-2 Class AAA Section 3 win against Oakland Catholic (0-1, 0-1).
• Olivia Sharbaugh's two goals enabled visiting Knoch (1-0, 1-0) to earn a 4-3 win against Burrell (0-1, 0-1), in Class AA Section 2.
• Hayden Pascoe upped her season goal total to six by scoring three times in helping Class AA No. 5 Belle Vernon (3-0, 1-0) defeat visiting Thomas Jefferson (0-1, 0-1), 6-0, in Section 4.
• Katie Hughes and Greer Monahan each scored two goals for Quaker Valley (3-0, 1-0) in a 4-0 upset win at Class AA No. 4 South Fayette (1-2, 0-1) in Section 5.
• Antonia Grese scored two goals and added three assists for Class AA No. 2 Moon (2-0, 1-0) in a 10-1 Section 5 win at Montour (0-2, 0-1).
• South Allegheny's Amber Brownfield scored a hat trick -- giving her eight goals this season -- to lead the host Gladiators (2-0, 1-0) to a 10-0 win against Monessen (0-2, 0-1) in Class A Section 2.
• Emily Ledbetter had a hat trick for Beaver (1-0, 1-0) in a 14-0 win against visiting Ellwood City (0-1, 0-1) in Class AA Section 3.
• Malea Fabean, Frannie Crouse and Italia Biondi scored three goals apiece for Class A No. 1 Greensburg Central Catholic (1-1, 1-0) in a 16-0 rout of visiting Geibel (1-2, 0-1) in Section 4.
• Vinny Barone, one of the top returning goal scorers in the WPIAL, scored three times to help East Allegheny (1-0) open its season with a 6-1 non-section win at Jeannette (0-1). Barone had 28 goals a year ago.
• Kevin Kunkel shot a 1-under 35 to lead Pine-Richland to a 193-199 win against North Allegheny in a Class AAA Section 3 match at Treesdale Golf & Country Club.
• Joey Ledoux and Cole Potts fired 3-under 32s to lead Trinity to a 167-203 win against McGuffey in a non-section match at Dogwood Hills Golf Course in Claysville.
• Gino DiPardo's 2-under 34 at The Club at Nevillewood pushed Chartiers Valley to a 202-208 triumph against Baldwin in non-section play.
• Defending WPIAL Class AAA champion Peters Township edged Fox Chapel, 3-2, in a non-section match. Both of the Indians' doubles teams won, as did singles player Abby Cummings.
• Amanda Steffey and Sydney Pribanic scored three goals apiece for Penn-Trafford in an 8-0 non-conference win at Oakland Catholic.
• Dane Brown, a senior running back at Franklin Regional, committed to Cornell. Brown rushed for 1,960 yards and scored 34 touchdowns last season.hssoccer