Just when it looked like the music might come to an end on Gateway's hunt for a third consecutive WPIAL title, the team's D.J. came to the rescue.
D.J. Boyce scored eight of his game-high 23 points in the fourth quarter and No. 10 Gateway rallied from a 13-point deficit to defeat No. 7 Kiski Area in a Class AAAA first-round game Wednesday night at Plum.
After trailing, 25-12, in the second quarter, Gateway (16-5) pulled within 35-30 with 1:12 left in the third. The Gators then went on a 13-0 run to go in front of Kiski Area (16-6), 43-35, with 4:55 remaining in the game.
Boyce added eight steals for Gateway, which forced nine fourth-quarter turnovers.
Nick Stone and Joe Brungo scored 12 points apiece for Kiski Area.
Other Class AAAA
• North Allegheny 65, Canon-McMillan 38: No. 2-seeded North Allegheny (20-3) limited No. 15 Canon-McMillan (11-12) to its second lowest point total of the season in gaining a win at Chartiers Valley.
• New Castle 85, Latrobe 64: Shawn Anderson's 22 points led a group of five players scoring in double figures for No. 1 New Castle (23-0) in the win against No. 16 Latrobe (12-11) at North Allegheny. New Castle's Malik Hooker scored 14 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter.
• Beaver Falls 78, Bishop Canevin 37: Defending champion and No. 1 seed Beaver Falls (20-3) advanced to the quarterfinals for the 12th year in a row by blowing out Bishop Canevin (11-13) at West Allegheny. Elijah Cottrill led Beaver Falls with 19 points.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 52, Northgate 38: Zach Herman scored 17 points for No. 2 Greensburg C.C. (22-1) in the win against Northgate (14-10) at Canon-McMillan. The Centurions are in the quarterfinals for the fourth year in a row.
• Seton-LaSalle 62, Mohawk 39: At Peters Township, No. 3 Seton-LaSalle (21-2) used a 24-6 advantage in the third quarter to defeat Mohawk (10-14) and advance to the quarterfinals for the first time since 2003. Levi Masua led the Rebels with 16 points.
• Apollo-Ridge 56, Sto-Rox 52: Lucas Burrell's 18 points vaulted Apollo-Ridge (17-7) into the quarterfinals for the first time since 1991 with the win against Section 6 champion Sto-Rox (14-9) at North Allegheny.
• Quaker Valley 53, Riverside 48: Qadir Taylor made a layup and free throw with 28 seconds left to provide the winning points for No. 6 Quaker Valley (19-4) in the win against Riverside (15-9) at Moon. Taylor finished with 15 points.
• Brentwood 44, Shady Side Academy 39: Jason Pilarski's 22 points helped Brentwood (14-9) edge Shady Side Academy (9-15) at Woodland Hills. It's Brentwood's first trip to the quarterfinals since 1998.
• Burrell 61, Washington 50: Pete Spagnola scored 18 points to push Burrell (17-6) into the quarterfinals for the first time since 2001 after beating Washington (17-7) at Hempfield.
• Jeannette 71, Aliquippa 44: No. 2 Jeannette (18-4) got 22 points from Julian Batts on its way to routing Aliquippa (10-14) at Baldwin. The Jayhawks will play in the quarterfinals for the 10th year in a row.mobilehome - hsbasketball