Fighting for a title in arguably the best section in Class AA, the Beaver baseball team earned perhaps its biggest win of the season.
Ben Herstine hit a three-run home run and Class AA No. 3 Beaver took sole possession of first place in Section 5 Monday after defeating visiting No. 1 Riverside, 8-6.
Beaver (7-2, 7-1) and Riverside (9-3, 6-2) were tied for first place entering the game. Beaver also beat Riverside earlier this month, 9-1.
"It was a big win because if we lose, instead of leading [the section], we'd be chasing the pack," Beaver coach Bruce Herstine said.
Ben Herstine had three hits, and his home run was his fourth in two games. Austin Ross was the winning pitcher.
Other top baseball games
• Brad Gresock scored on a passed ball in the sixth inning to push Class AAAA No. 4 Seneca Valley (8-2) to a 1-0 home win against Class AAA No. 4 Hampton (9-2) in a non-section game.
• Nathan Mori's RBI double in the seventh enabled Class AAAA No. 5 Hempfield (9-2, 6-1) to edge visiting Norwin (5-5, 4-3), 4-3, in Section 1. Mori earned the pitching win, striking out the side in his only inning.
• Tyler Smith pitched a three-hitter and struck out 12 to lead Penn-Trafford (7-4, 5-2) to its fifth win in a row, a 2-0 victory at Kiski Area (2-8, 2-5) in Class AAAA Section 2.
• Upper St. Clair (7-6) defeated Class AAA No. 3 Chartiers Valley (12-2), 9-7, in a non-section game. Ben Haus went 3 for 3 and scored three runs for the host Panthers.
• Jake Pilewicz tossed a one-hitter with 11 strikeouts to help host Quaker Valley (10-0, 8-0) remain undefeated after a 5-0 win against Carlynton (2-5, 2-4) in Class AA Section 1.
• Shane Roebuck's home run in the seventh gave Brownsville (8-3, 5-3) a 2-1 win against visiting Chartiers-Houston (6-6, 4-4) in Class AA Section 2.
• Seth Mley had three hits and two RBIs in helping host Ellwood City (3-10, 1-7) shock Class AA No. 2 Neshannock (8-3, 5-3), 10-1, in Section 5.
Baseball top performers
• Carter Grote went 4 for 4 with a home run and five RBIs to lead Class AAA No. 2 South Park (14-0, 7-0) to a 12-1, five-inning win at Thomas Jefferson (8-6, 4-3) in Section 4.
• Chaz Phillips had a pinch-hit RBI single in the seventh to lift host Albert Gallatin (1-9) to its first win of the season, a 7-6 non-section triumph against Ringgold (3-6). Albert Gallatin's Tyler Dubovich added a grand slam.
Top softball games
• Maddy Miller went 2 for 3 and had three RBIs to lead host Norwin (6-4, 5-4) to a 3-2 upset of Class AAAA No. 2 Latrobe (9-2, 8-1) in Section 1.
• Jess Neill, Alexa Sisko and Cassie Bachik had three hits apiece to help visiting Seneca Valley (5-5, 4-5) stun Class AAAA No. 3 Shaler (9-2, 9-1), 9-0, in Section 3.
• Taylor Mercurio went 3 for 3 and drove in two runs for Class AA No. 4 Seton-LaSalle (8-0) in a 6-5 non-section win against visiting Class AAA No. 4 Trinity (9-2).
• Class AAA No. 5 Elizabeth Forward (10-2) handed host McKeesport (10-2) its second loss in a row, 4-2, in a non-section game. Winning pitcher Portia McBride struck out six.
Softball top performers
• Kallie Harper had three hits, including the winning RBI double in the seventh, for host North Hills (2-8, 2-7) in a 9-8 victory against Butler (3-7, 2-7) in Class AAAA Section 3.
• Lauren Maly went 3 for 4 and drove in the decisive run on a homer in the seventh to give Central Valley (4-6, 3-5) a 5-4 win against visiting Ellwood City (5-5, 5-3) in Class AAA Section 1.